A dynamic conditional correlation analysis of European stock markets from the perspective of the Greek sovereign debt crisis
By using the asymmetric dynamic conditional correlation model developed by Cappiello et al. (2006), we examine how the time-varying correlations between Greece and other six European countries (Germany, France, UK, Ireland, Italy, and Spain) evolved from January 2007 to March 2011. The main contribution of the study is investigating whether the financial turmoil that originated from one nation's government debt market can exert contagion effects on equity markets in other countries of the region. We show that the dynamic correlations exhibited swings over time with several peaks, particularly in September 2008 and May 2010 and, interestingly, that the correlations indicated significant declines (rather than increases) during the sovereign debt crisis. The results imply that diversification opportunities between Greece and the other six European nations may have been created since the debt crisis intensified.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sheng-Yung Yang, 2005. "A DCC analysis of international stock market correlations: the role of Japan on the Asian Four Tigers," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 89-93, March.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2005.
"Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0541, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Christos Savva & Denise Osborn & Len Gill, 2009. "Spillovers and correlations between US and major European stock markets: the role of the euro," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(19), pages 1595-1604.
- C S Savva & D R Osborn & L Gill, 2005. "Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 64, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- C S Savva & D R Osborn & L Gill, 2005. "Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0515, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Kenourgios, Dimitris & Samitas, Aristeidis, 2009. "Financial Market Dynamics in an Enlarged European Union," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 24, pages 197-221.
- Matthew Yiu & Wai-Yip Alex Ho & Daniel Choi, 2010. "Dynamic correlation analysis of financial contagion in Asian markets in global financial turmoil," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 345-354.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.