Health care expenditures in Asia countries: Panel data analysis
Most studies on the link between health care expenditure (HCE) and GDP have been analyzed using data intensively from OECD countries, but little is known for other regions. The contribution of this paper is to present new results of several panel unit root and cointegration tests from 11 Asian countries using balanced panel data for the period of 1975－2006. The findings suggest the presence of unit-roots and cointegration in HCE and GDP in Asian data for both cases of with and without time trend in the regressions. This study also finds that the income elasticity varies largely from country to country either the short-run or the long-run. Moreover, the Granger causality tests suggest that only uni-directional causality (GDP cause HCE) does exist.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jewell, Todd & Lee, Junsoo & Tieslau, Margie & Strazicich, Mark C., 2003. "Stationarity of health expenditures and GDP: evidence from panel unit root tests with heterogeneous structural breaks," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 313-323, March.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"On stationarity and cointegration of international health expenditure and GDP,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
232, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Jan 1999.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000. "On stationarity and cointegration of international health expenditure and GDP," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 461-475, July.
- Dreger, C. & Reimers, H.E., 2005.
"Health Care Expenditures in OECD Countries: A Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Analysis,"
International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(2), pages 5-20.
- Dreger, Christian & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2005. "Health Care Expenditures in OECD Countries: A Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- F. Moscone & E. Tosetti, 2010.
"Health expenditure and income in the United States,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(12), pages 1385-1403, December.
- Elisa Tosetti & Francesco Moscone, 2007. "Health Expenditure and Income in the United States," Discussion Papers in Economics 07/14, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Blomqvist, A.G. & Carter, R.A.L., 1993.
"Is Health Care Really a Luxury?,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9311, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Breitung, Jorg, 2002. "Nonparametric tests for unit roots and cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 343-363, June.
- Carrion-i-Silvestre, Josep Lluis, 2005. "Health care expenditure and GDP: Are they broken stationary?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 839-854, September.
- Hansen, Paul & King, Alan, 1996. "The determinants of health care expenditure: A cointegration approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 127-137, February.
- Fırat Bilgel & Kien C. Tran, 2013. "The determinants of Canadian provincial health expenditures: evidence from a dynamic panel," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 201-212, January.
- Albert Okunade & Mustafa Karakus, 2001. "Unit root and cointegration tests: timeseries versus panel estimates for international health expenditure models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1131-1137.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- McCoskey, Suzanne K. & Selden, Thomas M., 1998. "Health care expenditures and GDP: panel data unit root test results," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 369-376, June.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-10-00578. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.