Capital accumulation, unemployment, and the putty-clay
This note studies the dynamics of labor markets in a putty-clay framework. It analyzes the evolution of job creation and job destruction in an economy without market frictions. Unemployment and labor market flows emerge under putty-clay technologies because low productive jobs become unused factors. As capital accumulates, firms destruct low productive jobs by obsolescence. Simultaneously, the use of capital intensive technologies s new jobs by the low substitution between capital and labor.
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999.
"Job reallocation, employment fluctuations and unemployment,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 18, pages 1171-1228
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1999. "Job Reallocation, Employment Fluctuations and Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0421, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Akerlof, George A, 1981. "Jobs as Dam Sites," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Mortensen, Dale T., 1994. "The cyclical behavior of job and worker flows," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1121-1142, November.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1976. "Optimal Growth in a Putty-Clay Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 867-78, September.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1983. "Energy Price Uncertainty and Optimal Factor Intensity: A Mean-Variance Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1839-45, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-04e20007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.