Stability of the Nigerian M2 Money Demand Function in the SAP Period
This paper explores the stability of the M2 money demand function in Nigeria in the Structural Adjustment Program (SAP) period. The results from the Johansen and Juselius cointegration test suggest that real discount rate, economic activity and real M2, are cointegrated. The Hansen (1992), CUSUM and CUSUMQ stability test results indicate that the M2 money demand function in Nigeria is stable for the study period. The results of the study show that M2 is a viable monetary policy tool that could be used to stimulate economic activity in Nigeria.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Godwin Nwaobi, 2001.
"A Vector Error Correction And Nonnested Modelling Of Money Demand Function In Nigeria,"
- Godwin Nwaobi, 2002. "A vector error correction and nonnested modeling of money demand function in Nigeria," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(4), pages 1-8.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bohl, Martin T., 2000. "German monetary unification and the stability of the German M3 money demand function," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 203-208, February.
- Naoko Hamori & Shigeyuki Hamori, 1999. "Stability of the money demand function in Germany," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(5), pages 329-332.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Michael P. Barry, 2000. "Stability of the Demand for Money in an Unstable Country: Russia," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(4), pages 619-629, July.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 2001. "How stable is M2 money demand function in Japan?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 455-461, December.
- David Fielding, 1994. "Money Demand in Four African Countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 3-37, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2002:i:4:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-02n10001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.