Seasonaility and Cointegration in the Fishing Industry of Conrwall
This paper examines the evidence for seasonal effects and cointegration between fisheries prices of main species landed into Cornwall. This is the first comprehensive study of fisheries seasonality. The results show significant monthly effects in April and negative monthly effects in February. We also find cointegration between prices, and show that in the long run prices are converged. The results also reveal that Granger causality is unidirectional in fourteen cases and bi-directional in six cases. Examining the form and magnitude of seasonal fluctuations and fish price linkages can be beneficial to fisheries managers in their decisions regarding policy, development and management.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Sean Pascoe & Catherine Robinson, 1999. "Long run price flexibilities for high valued UK fish species: a cointegration systems approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 473-481.
- T. C. Mills & C. Siriopoulos & R. N. Markellos & D. Harizanis, 2000. "Seasonality in the Athens stock exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 137-142.
- Kavussanos, Manolis G. & Alizadeh-M, Amir H., 2002. "Seasonality patterns in tanker spot freight rate markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 747-782, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:ijaeqs:v:1:y2004:i:1_20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.