Provincial Disparities and Structural Unemployment in Canada
We examine Canadian provincial structural unemployment by estimating the unemployment-vacancy relationship (Beveridge curve) for ten provinces and find that from 1988 to 2002 structural unemployment fell primarily in western provinces. A breakdown of the causes of provincial structural unemployment using a SURE estimation reveals that the generosity of the employment insurance is an important variable in the West while the mix of structural variables appear to be important for central and eastern Canada. We are unaware of any other studies evaluating the Beveridge curve at the provincial level for this period which was one of historically high unemployment for Canada.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wall, Howard & Zoega, Gylfi, 1997.
"The British Beveridge Curve: A Tale of Ten Regions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wall, Howard J & Zoega, Gylfi, 2002. " The British Beveridge Curve: A Tale of Ten Regions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(3), pages 261-80, July.
- Howard J. Wall & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "The British Beveridge curve: a tale of ten regions," Working Papers 2001-007, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Katharine G. Abraham, 1987. "Help-Wanted Advertising, Job Vacancies, and Unemployment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 207-248.
- Reid, Frank & Meltz, Noah M, 1979. "Causes of Shifts in the Unemployment-Vacancy Relationship: An Empirical Analysis for Canada," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(3), pages 470-75, August.
- Richard Archambault & Mario Fortin, 2001. "The Beveridge curve and unemployment fluctuations in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 58-81, February.
- Cote, D. & Hostland, D., 1996. "An Econometric Examination of the Trend Unemployment Rate in Canada," Working Papers 96-7, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:12:y2012:i:1_2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.