Second Homes In The Spanish Regions: Evolution In 2001-2007 And Impact On Tourism, Gdp And Employment
We present a provisional estimation of the evolution of second homes in the Spanish regions over the period 2001-2007, using this variable as one of the most important indicators of non hotel tourism, and compare with trends in the previous decade. We cite several studies and information related with the impact of second homes in Europe and North America. One conclusion regarding the number of second homes built in Spain during the last years is that, despite the housing boom, the annual percentage increase in 2001-2007 was very alike to the previous period 1991-2001. Spain is a country with very high demand for second homes, both for Spaniards and foreigners. We present a comparison of the number of overnight stays in second homes and hotels which show the great economic importance of both types of tourism. Finally we estimate several econometric models that take into account the impact of second homes on regional production and employment.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:eaa:eerese:v:2:y2002:i:1_2 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eaa:eerese:v:4:y2004:i:4_9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin Dijst & Martin Lanzendorf & Angela Barendregt & Leo Smit, 2005. "Second Homes In Germany And The Netherlands: Ownership And Travel Impact Explained," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 96(2), pages 139-152, 04.
- repec:eaa:eerese:v:1:y2001:i:2_6 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eaa:eerese:v:8:y2008:i:8_8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lopez, Carmen, 2002. "Modelos econometricos del mercado de la vivienda en las regiones españolas," Economic Development 59, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- F. J. Ledesma-Rodríguez & M. Navarro-Ibánez & J. V. Pérez-Rodríguez, . "Panel data and tourism demand. The case of Tenerife," Working Papers 99-17, FEDEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:10:y2010:i:2_6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.