Macroeconomic Modelling: Approaches and Experiences in Development Countries
This paper selectively reviews various approaches of macroeconometric modelling and highlights some important lessons from more than half a century of model-building particularly in the context of Asian countries. Addressing several issues discussed in this paper can improve the use of macroeconometric models (MEM) in forecasting and policy analysis in the foreseeable future. This survey shows that most MEMs in developing countries are either becoming smaller in size or not being subject to a thorough diagnostic investigation. In the specification of models one should consider the interplay among macroeconomic policies of different countries via international trade and global financial markets. It is argued that the Project Link and the Fair multi-country model are two initiatives in the right direction. It also appears that with advancement of econometric "know-how", the disparity of opinions between advocates and critics of macroeconometric modelling can be narrowed.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1988.
"Recent developments in macroeconomics: a very quick refresher course,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 436-458.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1988. "Recent Developments in Macroeconomics: A Very Quick Refresher Course," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 436-49, August.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987. "Recent Developments in Macroeconomics: A Very Quick Refresher Course," NBER Working Papers 2474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hunt, Benjamin & Rose, David & Scott, Alasdair, 2000. "The core model of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand's Forecasting and Policy System," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 247-274, April.
- Francis X. Diebold, 1997.
"The Past, Present, and Future of Macroeconomic Forecasting,"
NBER Working Papers
6290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis X. Diebold, 1998. "The Past, Present, and Future of Macroeconomic Forecasting," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 175-192, Spring.
- Francis X. Diebold, 1997. "The past, present, and future of macroeconomic forecasting," Working Papers 97-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1978. "On the Accuracy and Properties of Recent Macroeconomic Forecasts," NBER Working Papers 0229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1995. "New Directions in Applied Macroeconomic Modelling," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9525, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hall, Stephen, 1995. "Macroeconomics and a Bit More Reality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 974-88, July.
- Zarnowitz, Victor, 1978. "On the Accuracy and Properties of Recent Macroeconomic Forecasts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 313-19, May.
- Bodkin, Ronald G. & Marwah, Kanta, 1988. "Trends in macroeconomic modeling: The past quarter century," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 299-315.
- Willman, Alpo & Kortelainen, Mika & Mannisto, Hanna-Leena & Tujula, Mika, 2000. "The BOF5 macroeconomic model of Finland, structure and dynamic microfoundations," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 275-303, April.
- Sastry, V K, 1975. "The Use of Macroeconomic Regression Models of Developing Countries: A Comment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 156-65, March.
- Sushanta Mallick, 2004. "A dynamic macroeconometric model for short-run stabilization in India," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 261-276.
- Fair, Ray C, 1974. "An Evaluation of a Short-Run Forecasting Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(2), pages 285-303, June.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1976. "A Classical Macroeconometric Model for the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(2), pages 207-37, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Clive W.J. Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2003. "Interactions between large macro models and time series analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 1-10.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:1:y:2005:i:1_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.