Youth poverty and transition to adulthood in Europe
There is an increasing amount of research focussing on the transition to adulthood, a stage of the life cycle where young people face demanding life decisions, including completion of education, finding stable employment, and establishing their household and family. Whereas there is a well-developed literature on poverty among households in general, very little research has focused on poverty among young adults. Using the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) we provide a detailed description of youth poverty in Europe. Across the European Union youth poverty varies greatly, being higher in Southern European countries, as well as in the â€˜liberalâ€™ regimes of the UK and Ireland. However, there are also large variations in the extent of youth poverty within countries, between what we might term "younger youth" (aged 16-19) and "older youth" aged (25-29). In the UK, poverty rates among "younger youth" are much higher than among "older youth", suggesting that poverty among young people is closely associated with child poverty. In the Scandinavian countries, poverty peaks dramatically in the early twenties, indicating that in these countries, poverty is associated with leaving home.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miles Corak & Wen-Hao Chen, 2005.
"Child Poverty and Changes in Child Poverty in Rich Countries since 1990,"
inwopa05/28, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Chen, Wen-Hao & Corak, Miles, 2005. "Child Poverty and Changes in Child Poverty in Rich Countries Since 1990," IZA Discussion Papers 1574, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Irwin Garfinkel & Lee Rainwater & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2004. "Welfare State Expenditures and the Distribution of Child Opportunities," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 63, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- repec:fda:fdaeee:46 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:iserwp:2003-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Markus Jantti & Bruce Bradbury, 1999. "Child Poverty across Industrialized Nations," Papers iopeps99/70, Innocenti Occasional Papers, Economic Policy Series.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:demres:v:15:y:2006:i:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.