Comparable Worth and Pay Equity: Recent Developments in the United States
This paper surveys the US experience with comparable worth and pay equity (CWPE). After reviewing the institutional setting (with special reference to anti-discrimination laws and affirmative action programs) into which CWPE was introduced, I note that CWPE has met with only minimal success at the federal level and has fostered some modest pay adjustments for government employees in some states. Employers have usually opposed or sought to limit CWPE pay adjustments; unions have sometimes been sceptical of CWPE as antithetical to collective bargaining; and in recent years even some proponents have become less positive in assessing CWPE.
Volume (Year): 28 (2002)
Issue (Month): s1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Orazem, Peter F & Mattila, J Peter, 1990.
"The Implementation Process of Comparable Worth: Winners and Losers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 134-152, February.
- Mattila, J. Peter & Orazem, Peter, 1990. "The Implementation Process of Comparable Worth: Winners and Losers," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10842, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mattila, J. Peter & Orazem, Peter, 1989. "Comparable Worth and the Structure of Earnings: The Iowa Case," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10846, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Oaxaca, Ronald, 1987. "The Economics of Discrimination: Economists Enter the Courtroom," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 321-325, May.
- Leonard, Jonathan S, 1989. "Women and Affirmative Action," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 61-75, Winter.
- Andrea H. Beller, 1982. "Occupational Segregation by Sex: Determinants and Changes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(3), pages 371-392.
- Mark R. Killingsworth, 1990. "The Economics of Comparable Worth," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number ecw, June.
- O'Neill, June & Brien, Michael & Cunningham, James, 1989. "Effects of Comparable Worth Policy: Evidence from Washington State," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 305-309, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:28:y:2002:i:s1:p:171-186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.