Y a-t-il des biais systematiques dans les annonces budgetaires canadiennes? (With English summary.)
Every year the Canadian government makes up a budget for the forthcoming fiscal year. During the budget process, projections are made of expenditures and receipts contingent upon predictions of key macroeconomic variables. Naturally, one expects that the budget deficit or surplus actually realized will differ from what was initially announced. Neither of the two major protagonists in the budget decision-making process, namely the Legislative and Executive Branches of government, may have an interest in using truthful projections, however. The purpose of the paper is to find empirical regularities. It is found that (1) the difference between projected and realized budgets is substantial; and (2) that the differences are systematically related to publicly available information at the time of the budget announcement. The publicly available information contains key macroeconomic variables related to the electoral and legislative process. It is shown that the biases are fairly predictable at the time budget projections are announced.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/Email:
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David, J-F. & Ghysels, E., 1989.
"Y A-T-Il Des Biais Systematiques Dans Les Annonces Budgetaires Canadiennes?,"
Cahiers de recherche
8912, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jean Francois David & Eric Ghysels, 1989. "Y a-t-il des biais systematiques dans les annonces budgetaires canadiennes? (With English summary.)," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 15(3), pages 313-321, September.
- David, J.F. & Ghysels, E., 1989. "Y A-T-Il des Biais Systematiques Dans les Annonces Budgetaires Canadiennes?," Cahiers de recherche 8912, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 1979. "The sampling distribution of forecasts from a first-order autoregression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 241-261, February.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1985.
"Unbiasedness of Predictions from Etimated Vector Autoregressions,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 387-402, December.
- Dufour, J.M., 1983. "Unbiasedness of Predictions From Estimated Vector Autoregressions," Cahiers de recherche 8330, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ghysels, E., 1987. "The Political Economy of the Budget and Efficient Information Processing," Cahiers de recherche 8733, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:15:y:1989:i:3:p:313-321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.