A Question of Credibility: Enhancing the Accountability and Effectiveness of Credit Rating Agencies
In the wake of the financial crisis, Credit Rating Agencies (CRAs) have been criticized for having played a significant role in the market turmoil. Numerous reports have identified failures on the part of CRAs that have affected the quality and integrity of the rating process. In light of the critiques, a strong consensus has emerged among policymakers that regulatory intervention is needed. In Canada, the European Union and the United States, policymakers have opted for registration systems. Three major areas of reform should be pursued. The first pertains to the elimination of regulatory references to ratings. The second area relates to the development of a due diligence obligation for institutional investors with respect to the creditworthiness of issuers. The final area of reform concerns the disclosure of information on underlying assets by issuers of structured finance products. Given that these reforms imply important changes to the regulatory landscape, an incremental approach is the preferable route.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 356 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ljungqvist, Alexander & Marston, Felicia & Starks, Laura T. & Wei, Kelsey D. & Yan, Hong, 2007.
"Conflicts of interest in sell-side research and the moderating role of institutional investors,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 420-456, August.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P. & Marston, Felicia & Starks, Laura T & Wei, Kelsey D. & Yan, Hong, 2005. "Conflicts of Interest in Sell-Side Research and the Moderating Role of Institutional Investors," CEPR Discussion Papers 5001, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bo Becker & Todd Milbourn, 2008. "Reputation and competition: evidence from the credit rating industry," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-051, Harvard Business School, revised Sep 2010.
- repec:reg:rpubli:345 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jakob de Haan & Fabian Amtenbrink, 2011.
"Credit Rating Agencies,"
DNB Working Papers
278, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Efraim Benmelech & Jennifer Dlugosz, 2009.
"The Credit Rating Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.