The Performance of Melanesian Central Banks
Since independence, the Melanesian central banks of the Reserve Bank of Fiji, Bank of Papua New Guinea, Central Bank of Solomon Islands and Reserve Bank of Vanuatu have operated autonomously in their respective domestic economies through troublesome times. In one form or another, they have had to endure international condemnation, coups, corruption and crises. Using classic modernization theory and combination reporting analysis, this paper considers possible operational central bank efficiencies from the construction of a joint Melanesian central bank. Annual reports for the year ending 2008 from the cities of Suva, Port Moresby, Honiara and Port Vila were gathered to conduct textual analysis of the annual reporting of the Melanesian central banks, both individually and collectively through combination reporting analysis. The results of the analysis of the performance of the individual Melanesian central banks identify huge net losses resulting from speculative foreign currency trading, substantial risks from holding extensive foreign assets, and worrying governance issues through unusual dividend practices and balance sheet reserve manipulation. In light of the results, there appears a case for using combination reporting as an instrument for examining potential performance of emerging central bank problems and for considering a united Melanesian central bank to help rectify some of these problems. The implications of this study suggest that growth of linkages between Melanesian countries within the Asia Pacific region may abound through regional and economic central bank integration.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +382 20 403 136
Fax: +382 20 664 029
Web page: http://www.cbcg.me/eng/index.php?bl=journal
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hughes, Joseph P. & Lang, William W. & Mester, Loretta J. & Moon, Choon-Geol, 1999.
"The dollars and sense of bank consolidation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 291-324, February.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William W. Lang & Loretta J. Mester, 1998. "The dollars and sense of bank consolidation," Working Papers 98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William Lang & Loretta J. Mester & Choon-Geol Moon, 1998. "The Dollars and Sense of Bank Consolidation," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Mas, Ignacio, 1995. "Central bank independence: A critical view from a developing country perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1639-1652, October.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010.
"The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy,"
463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cukierman, A. & Miller, G.P. & Neyapti, B., 2000.
"Central Bank Reform, Liberalization and Inflation in Transition Economies : An International Perspective,"
2000-106, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cukierman, Alex & Miller, Geoffrey P. & Neyapti, Bilin, 2002. "Central bank reform, liberalization and inflation in transition economies--an international perspective," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 237-264, March.
- Cukierman, A. & Miller, G.P. & Neyapti, B., 2000. "Central Bank Rerform, Liberalization and Inflation in Transition Economies - an International Perspective," Papers 00-19, Tel Aviv.
- Cukierman, A. & Miller, G.P. & Neyapti, B., 2000. "Central Bank Rerform, Liberalization and Inflation in Transition Economies - an International Perspective," Papers 2000-19, Tel Aviv.
- Cukierman, Alex & Miller, Geoffrey & Neyapti, Bilin, 2001. "Central Bank Reform, Liberalization and Inflation in Transition Economies - An International Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2808, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori, 2010.
"The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and Other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 48(3), pages 603-41, September.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research," CEPR Discussion Papers 7500, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Snowden, P. Nicholas, 1997. "The IMF and the emerging markets: A reappraisal of the central banking model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1937-1948, November.
- Bertram, Geoffrey, 2004. "On the Convergence of Small Island Economies with Their Metropolitan Patrons," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 343-364, February.
- Feeny, Simon, 2007. "Foreign Aid and Fiscal Governance in Melanesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 439-453, March.
- Jayaraman, Tiru K. & Ward , Bert D., 2006. "A Single Currency for Pacific Island Countries: An SVAR Analysis," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 59(1), pages 83-111.
- S. Mishkin, Frederic, 1999.
"Financial consolidation: Dangers and opportunities,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 675-691, February.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1999. "Financial Consolidation: Dangers and Opportunities," NBER Working Papers 6655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T.K. Jayaraman & B.D. Ward, 2006. "Economic growth in a vulnerable island nation: an empirical study of the aid-growth nexus in Vanuatu," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 13(2), pages 93-112, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbk:journl:v:2:y:2013:i:1:p:89-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.