Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Investment Horizons
We consider an analytically tractable asset pricing model describing the trading activity in a stylized market with two assets. Traders are boundedly rational expected utility maximizers with different beliefs about future prices and different investment horizons. In particular, we analyze the effects of the latter source of heterogeneity on the dynamics of price. We find that in the case with homogeneous agents, longer investment horizons lead to more stable dynamics. This is not true, however, in the case of a mixed population of traders, when the increase of heterogeneity in the investment horizons can introduce instability in the system. Furthermore, the role of heterogeneity turns out to be different for different trading behaviors and its effect on the aggregate dynamics depends on the whole ecology of agents' beliefs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection by Dynamic Stochastic Programming," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 239-46, August.
- KIRMAN, Alan & TEYSSIÃˆRE, Gilles, 2002. "Bubbles and long-range dependence in asset prices volatilities," CORE Discussion Papers 2002060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lux, Thomas, 1995. "Herd Behaviour, Bubbles and Crashes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 881-96, July.
- Brock, William A & LeBaron, Blake D, 1996.
"A Dynamic Structural Model for Stock Return Volatility and Trading Volume,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 94-110, February.
- William A. Brock & Blake D. LeBaron, 1995. "A Dynamic Structural Model for Stock Return Volatility and Trading Volume," NBER Working Papers 4988, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Westerhoff Frank H. & Reitz Stefan, 2003.
"Nonlinearities and Cyclical Behavior: The Role of Chartists and Fundamentalists,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-15, December.
- Reitz, Stefan & Westerhoff, Frank, 2003. "Nonlinearities and Cyclical Behavior: The Role of Chartists and Fundamentalists," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Levy, Moshe & Levy, Haim & Solomon, Sorin, 1994. "A microscopic model of the stock market : Cycles, booms, and crashes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 103-111, May.
- Marco LiCalzi & Paolo Pellizzari, 2002.
"Fundamentalists Clashing over the Book: A Study of Order-Driven Stock Markets,"
0207001, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 2003.
- Marco Licalzi & Paolo Pellizzari, 2003. "Fundamentalists clashing over the book: a study of order-driven stock markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(6), pages 470-480.
- Osler, C. L., 1995. "Exchange rate dynamics and speculator horizons," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 695-719, October.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001.
"Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics Under Heterogeneous Expectations,"
Research Paper Series
56, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- C. Chiarella & X-Z. He, 2001. "Asset price and wealth dynamics under heterogeneous expectations," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(5), pages 509-526.
- Xue-Zhong (Tony) He & Carl Chiarella, 2001. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics under Heterogeneous Expectations," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 5A.2, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1988.
"Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Micro Survey Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 1990. "Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Micro Survey Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 434-49, June.
- LeRoy, Stephen F, 1973. "Risk Aversion and the Martingale Property of Stock Prices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 436-46, June.
- Anufriev, M. & Panchenko, V., 2007.
"Asset Prices, Traders' Behavior, and Market Design,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
07-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Allen, Helen & Taylor, Mark P, 1990. "Charts, Noise and Fundamentals in the London Foreign Exchange Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 49-59, Supplemen.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharftstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1992.
" Herd on the Street: Informational Inefficiencies in a Market with Short-Term Speculation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1461-84, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1990. "Herd on the Street: Informational Inefficiencies in a Market with Short-Term Speculation," NBER Working Papers 3250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manzan, S. & Westerhoff, F., 2002.
"Heterogeneous Expectations, Exchange Rate Dynamics and Predictability,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
02-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Westerhoff, Frank H., 2007. "Heterogeneous expectations, exchange rate dynamics and predictability," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 111-128, September.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Gaunersdorfer, Andrea, 2000. "Endogenous fluctuations in a simple asset pricing model with heterogeneous agents," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 799-831, June.
- Alan Kirman, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Economics," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 89-117, May.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci, 2004.
"Asset price and wealth dynamics in a financial market with heterogeneous agents,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
261, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chiarella, Carl & Dieci, Roberto & Gardini, Laura, 2006. "Asset price and wealth dynamics in a financial market with heterogeneous agents," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1755-1786.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci & Laura Gardini, 2004. "Asset Price and Wealth Dynamics in a Financial Market with Heterogeneous Agents," Research Paper Series 134, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
- Hillebrand, Marten & Wenzelburger, Jan, 2006. "The impact of multiperiod planning horizons on portfolios and asset prices in a dynamic CAPM," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 565-593, August.
- M. M. Dacorogna & U. A. Muller & C. Jost & O. V. Pictet & J. R. Ward, 1995. "Heterogeneous real-time trading strategies in the foreign exchange market," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(4), pages 383-403.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H. & Wagener, Florian O. O., 2005.
"Evolutionary dynamics in markets with many trader types,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 7-42, February.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2002. "Evolutionary dynamics in markets with many trader types," CeNDEF Working Papers 02-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Anufriev, Mikhail & Bottazzi, Giulio & Pancotto, Francesca, 2006. "Equilibria, stability and asymptotic dominance in a speculative market with heterogeneous traders," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1787-1835.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:16:y:2012:i:4:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.