Contemporaneous-Threshold Smooth Transition GARCH Models
This paper proposes a contemporaneous-threshold smooth transition GARCH (or C-STGARCH) model for dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity. The C-STGARCH model is a generalization to second conditional moments of the contemporaneous smooth transition threshold autoregressive model of Dueker et al. (2007) in which the regime weights depend on the ex ante probability that a contemporaneous latent regime-specific variable exceeds a threshold value. A key feature of the C-STGARCH model is that its transition function depends on all the parameters of the model as well as on the data. The structural properties of the model are investigated, in addition to the finite-sample properties of the maximum likelihood estimator of its parameters. An application to U.S. stock returns illustrates the practical usefulness of the C-STGARCH model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markku Lanne & Pentti Saikkonen, 2005.
"Non-linear GARCH models for highly persistent volatility,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 251-276, 07.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2002. "Nonlinear GARCH models for highly persistent volatility," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,20, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Adrian R. Pagan & G. William Schwert, 1989.
"Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
2955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Alternative models for conditional stock volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 267-290.
- Pagan, A.R. & Schwert, G.W., 1989. "Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility," Papers 89-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- LUBRANO, Michel, 1998.
"Smooth transition GARCH models: a Bayesian perspective,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998066, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lubrano, M., 1999. "Smooth Transition GARCH Models: a Bayesian perspective," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a49, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Michel LUBRANO, 2001. "Smooth Transition Garch Models : a Baysian Perspective," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001032, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Medeiros, Marcelo C. & Veiga, Alvaro, 2009. "Modeling Multiple Regimes In Financial Volatility With A Flexible Coefficient Garch(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 117-161, February.
- Michael Dueker & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2006.
"Contemporaneous Threshold Autoregressive Models: Estimation, Testing and Forecasting,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2006-04, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Dueker, Michael J. & Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio, 2007. "Contemporaneous threshold autoregressive models: Estimation, testing and forecasting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 517-547, December.
- Michael J. Dueker & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2006. "Contemporaneous threshold autoregressive models: estimation, testing and forecasting," Working Papers 2003-024, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael Dueker & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2007. "Contemporaneous Threshold Autoregressive Models: Estimation, Testing and Forecasting," Discussion Papers 5_2007, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:15:y:2011:i:2:n:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.