Analytical Approximation for the Price Dynamics of Spark Spread Options
This paper presents an analytic approximation for the pricing dynamics of spark spread options in terms of Fourier transforms. We propose to model the spark spread, that is, the price difference of electricity and gas, directly using a mean-reverting model with diffusion and jumps. The model is analyzed empirically, and shown to fit observed data in the UK reasonably well. The main advantage with the model is that the spark spread of electricity and gas forwards, being forwards with delivery over periods, can be priced analytically. The price dynamics for different spark spread options with electricity and gas forwards as underlying, is analytically derived through Fourier transforms. These pricing expressions allow for efficient numerical valuations via the fast Fourier transform technique.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Figueroa, 2005.
"Pricing in Electricity Markets: A Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 313-335.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo_Gustavo Figueroa, 2005. "Pricing in Electricity Markets: a Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality," Finance 0501011, EconWPA, revised 12 Sep 2005.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Gustavo Figueroa, 2005. "Pricing in Electricity Markets: a Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0507, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-973, July.
- Fred Espen Benth & Lars Ekeland & Ragnar Hauge & BjøRn Fredrik Nielsen, 2003. "A note on arbitrage-free pricing of forward contracts in energy markets," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 325-336. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)