Competitive Conditions in the Turkish Non-Life Insurance Industry
This paper investigates the evolution of market structure in the Turkish insurance industry over the period 1996-2004, using the Panzar and Rosse (1987) methodology. The sample period has been divided into three sub-periods (1996-1998, 1999-2001, and 2002-2004). The results suggest that in the first and second sub-periods, the insurance firms operating in the Turkish insurance industry earned revenues under the monopoly or conjectural variations short-run oligopoly. In the third period, however, the results indicate that the insurance market was neither monopolistic nor perfectly competitive. Firm revenues were earned as if operating under monopolistic competition. Overall, the results show that market concentration is not significantly related to competitive conduct.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/rmeef|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cummins, J. David & Rubio-Misas, Maria & Zi, Hongmin, 2004. "The effect of organizational structure on efficiency: Evidence from the Spanish insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 3113-3150, December.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-456, June.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006.
"Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities,"
Cahiers de recherche
- J. Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & A. Nouira, 2009. "Efficiency of insurance firms with endogenous risk management and financial intermediation activities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 145-159, October.
- J. David Cummins & Georges Dionne & Robert Gagné & Abdelhakim Nouira, 2006. "Efficiency of Insurance Firms with Endogenous Risk Management and Financial Intermediation Activities," Cahiers de recherche 06-06, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- J. David Cummins & Hongmin Zi, 1997.
"Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods: An Application to the U.S. Life Insurance Industry,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- J. Cummins & Hongmin Zi, 1998. "Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods: An Application to the U.S. Life Insurance Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 131-152, October.
- Tuncay ÇELİK & Muhittin KAPLAN, 2007. "Türk sigortacılık sektöründe rekabet: 2002-2004," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 22(251), pages 50-62.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:rmeecf:v:4:y:2008:i:1:n:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.