Governing Interdependent Financial Systems: Lessons from the Vienna Initiative
Financial markets have become globally interdependent, yet their governance has remained national at the core. This friction encumbers crisis management and distorts incentives for crisis prevention. The Vienna Initiative, formed to manage the fallout from the global crisis in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), offers an alternative coordinated, multi-stakeholder governance framework. A critical prerequisite for such a regime is a coordinating agent, or ‘anchor tenant’, that is deeply vested in the stability of transnational financial systems, but does not directly compete with market actors or regulators. Lessons for more effective governance of financial interdependence are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jgd|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006.
"The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007. "The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," CEPR Discussion Papers 5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S Goldberg, 2011.
"Global Banks and International Shock Transmission: Evidence from the Crisis,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 59(1), pages 41-76, April.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2010. "Global banks and international shock transmission: evidence from the crisis," Staff Reports 446, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2010. "Global Banks and International Shock Transmission: Evidence from the Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Claessens & Geoffrey R. D. Underhill & Xiaoke Zhang, 2008. "The Political Economy of Basle II: The Costs for Poor Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 313-344, 03.
- Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland & Chenggang Xu, 2006. "Coordination and Experimentation in M-Form and U-Form Organizations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(2), pages 366-402, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/12379 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Con Keating & Hyun Song Shin & Charles Goodhart & Jon Danielsson, 2001. "An Academic Response to Basel II," FMG Special Papers sp130, Financial Markets Group.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y:2010:i:20:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009.
"Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries,"
13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," DNB Working Papers 101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Johannes Pann & Reinhardt Seliger & Julia Übeleis, 2010. "Foreign Currency Lending in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe: The Case of Austrian Banks," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 20, pages 56-76.
- Simmons, Beth A., 2001. "The International Politics of Harmonization: The Case of Capital Market Regulation," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(03), pages 589-620, June.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & G. Stacy Sirmans & Barry A. Diskin, 1994. "The Effect of Anchor Tenant Loss on Shopping Center Rents," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 99-110.
- Dinger, Valeriya, 2009. "Do foreign-owned banks affect banking system liquidity risk?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 647-657, December.
- Ruggie, John Gerard, 2004. "Reconstituting the Global Public Domain: Issues, Actors and Practices," Working Paper Series rwp04-031, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir, 2010.
"Banking crisis management in the EU: an early assessment,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 341-373, 04.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2010. "Banking Crisis Management in the EU: An Early Assessment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174322, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gilson, Stuart C. & John, Kose & Lang, Larry H. P., 1990. "Troubled debt restructurings*1: An empirical study of private reorganization of firms in default," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 315-353, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:globdv:v:2:y:2012:i:2:n:4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.