Demographic Shift and Financial Markets in APEC: New Age Solutions to Age Old Challenges
The paper reviews the link between demographic shifts and financial products and markets, focusing especially on Asian based APEC economies. It argues that newly developed and emerging APEC economies will need to nurture private sector institutions, which, in partnership with government, can deliver the financial services that the elderly will need. We offer metrics that provide guidance as to whether the required governance and private business competence exist in these economies and suggest measures for improvement. We discuss financial innovation, especially in the arena of products and markets dealing with risks confronted by the elderly, which may provide opportunities for easing the burden of population aging. Finally, we ask what APEC as an organization might be able to achieve through co-operative international agreements.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/apjri|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Spivak, Avia, 1981.
"The Family as an Incomplete Annuities Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(2), pages 372-391, April.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Avia Spivak, 1979. "The Family as an Incomplete Annuities Market," UCLA Economics Working Papers 151, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Avia Spivak, 1979. "The Family as an Incomplete Annuities Market," NBER Working Papers 0362, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell, Olivia S. & Piggott, John & Kumru, Cagri, 2008. "Managing public investment funds: best practices and new questions," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 321-356, November.
- Olivia S Mitchell & John Piggott & Michael Sherris & Shaun Yow, 2006. "Financial Innovation for an Ageing World," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Christopher Kent & Anna Park & Daniel Rees (ed.), Demography and Financial Markets Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott & Michael Sherris & Shaun Yow, 2006. "Financial Innovation for an Aging World," NBER Working Papers 12444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heller, Peter S., 1999. "Aging in Asia: Challenges for fiscal policy," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-63.
- Peter S. Heller, 2006. "Is Asia Prepared for an Aging Population?," IMF Working Papers 06/272, International Monetary Fund.
- Mitchell, Olivia S. & Utkus, Stephen P. (ed.), 2004. "Pension Design and Structure: New Lessons from Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199273393, April.
- Sachi Purcal & John Piggott, 2008. "Explaining Low Annuity Demand: An Optimal Portfolio Application to Japan," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(2), pages 493-516.
- David Laibson, 1997. "Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-478.
- Laibson, David I., 1997. "Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting," Scholarly Articles 4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Greg Brunner & Richard Hinz & Roberto Rocha, 2008. "Risk-based Supervision of Pension Funds : Emerging Practices and Challenges," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6419, June.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott & Cagri Kumru, 2008. "Managing Public Investment Funds: Best Practices and New Challenges," NBER Working Papers 14078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rocha & Craig Thorburn, 2007. "Developing Annuities Markets : The Experience of Chile," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7162, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:apjrin:v:6:y:2012:i:1:n:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.