Macroeconomic uncertainty: what is it, how can we measure it and why does it matter?
The onset of the financial crisis in 2008 brought an end to the ‘Great Stability’ period, making prospects for UK and global economic growth appear not just weaker, but more uncertain. This elevated uncertainty is likely to have adversely affected spending decisions and contributed to the depth of the recent recession and the weakness of the recovery. While uncertainty is not directly observable, this article constructs an aggregate measure of the economic uncertainty faced by households and companies, based on a number of proxy indicators. It also provides some quantitative analysis of the impact of uncertainty on economic activity, drawing a distinction between shocks to uncertainty that are short-lived and those that are more persistent.
Volume (Year): 53 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward P. Lazear & James R. Spletzer, 2012.
"Hiring, Churn and the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
17910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jae Sim & Egon Zakrajsek & Simon Gilchrist, 2010.
"Uncertainty, Financial Frictions, and Investment Dynamics,"
2010 Meeting Papers
1285, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gilchrist, Simon & Sim, Jae W. & Zakrajsek, Egon, 2014. "Uncertainty, Financial Frictions, and Investment Dynamics," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2014-69, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Simon Gilchrist & Jae W. Sim & Egon Zakrajšek, 2014. "Uncertainty, Financial Frictions, and Investment Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 20038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000.
"Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2012.
"Variable Rare Disasters: An Exactly Solved Framework for Ten Puzzles in Macro-Finance,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 127(2), pages 645-700.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008. "Variable Rare Disasters: An Exactly Solved Framework for Ten Puzzles in Macro-Finance," NBER Working Papers 13724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romer, Christina D, 1990.
"The Great Crash and the Onset of the Great Depression,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 597-624, August.
- Christina D. Romer, 1988. "The Great Crash and the Onset of the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 2639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaewoo Lee & Pau Rabanal & Damiano Sandri, 2010. "U.S. Consumption after the 2008 Crisis," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/01, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher D Carroll, 1990.
"Buffer-Stock Saving and the Life Cycle/Permanent Income Hypothesis,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
371, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Aug 1996.
- Carroll, Christopher D, 1997. "Buffer-Stock Saving and the Life Cycle/Permanent Income Hypothesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 1-55, February.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 1996. "Buffer-Stock Saving and the Life Cycle/Permanent Income Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 5788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas Bloom, 2007.
"The Impact of Uncertainty Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
13385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Inkinen, Mika & Stringa, Marco & Voutsinou, Kyriaki, 2010. "Interpreting equity price movements since the start of the financial crisis," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(1), pages 24-33.
- Andrew Benito, 2002.
"Does Job Insecurity Affect Household Consumption?,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0225, Banco de Espa�a.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Stephanie Denis & Prakash Kannan, 2013. "The Impact of Uncertainty Shocks on the UK Economy," IMF Working Papers 13/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Barro, Robert, 2006. "Rare Disasters and Asset Markets in the Twentieth Century," Scholarly Articles 3208215, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:qbullt:0101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Group)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.