Eine Lanze für den Sachverständigenrat? Plädoyer für eine differenziertere Analyse wirtschaftswissenschaftlicher Beratungsinstitutionen
In economic literature comparisons between the American and German Council of Economic Advisors lead to the result that the American Council works quite well, whereas the German Council is broadly criticized. On a closer look, these conclusions are disputable. Therefore, in this contribution we analyse both institutions with respect to different functions of scientific advice such as: (1) operative advice, (2) conception, (3) information of the public, (4) legitimization, and (5) filter. Our approach shows that the simultaneous treatment of all functions by one institution is impossible. Finally, the institutionalization of the German Council is quite appropriate with respect to some functions of scientific advice. Copyright 2007 die Autoren Journal compilation 2007, Verein für Socialpolitik und Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6493|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6493|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Franz, 2000. "Wirtschaftspolitische Beratung: Reminiszenzen und Reflexionen," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(1), pages 53-71, 02.
- Charles L. Schultze, 1996. "The CEA: An Inside Voice for Mainstream Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(3), pages 23-39, Summer.
- Hans Pitlik, 2001. "Politikberatung der Öffentlichkeit?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 61-73, 02.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1997. "The Council of Economic Advisers: From Stabilization to Resource Allocation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 99-102, May.
- Nelson, Robert H, 1987. "The Economics Profession and the Making of Public Policy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 49-91, March.
- Porter, Roger B, 1997. "Presidents and Economists: The Council of Economic Advisers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 103-06, May.
- Krupp, Hans-Jürgen, 2004. "Was kann die (National-)Ökonomie zur Gestaltung der Wirtschaftspolitik beitragen?," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1949 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 84(2), pages 84-90.
- Bruno S. Frey, 2000.
"Was Bewirkt die Volkswirtschaftslehre?,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(1), pages 5-33, 02.
- Herbert Stein, 1996. "A Successful Accident: Recollections and Speculations about the CEA," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:perwir:v:8:y:2007:i:4:p:335-358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.