Resource-Constrained Export-Base Regional Multipliers: A Northian Approach
This paper attempts to rescue the regional export-base growth model from a purely demand-side interpretation. It formally develops the classic Northian approach, where the exploitation of region-specific resources by export-orientated production sectors determines regional growth. In this model, the nature of the regional expansion is shown to be stimulus-specific with the value of the marginal export-base multiplier varying within very wide limits, depending upon key characteristics of the region and the nature of the supply-side shock to the export base. Copyright Blackwell Publishers, 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0022-4146|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "Exports and Regional Economic Growth: Rejoinder," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 169.
- Douglass C. North, 1955. "Location Theory and Regional Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 243.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "Exports and Regional Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 160.
- Peter G. McGregor & Eric P. McVittie & J. Kim Swales & Ya Ping Yin, 2000. "The Neoclassical Economic Base Multiplier," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31.
- E McVittie & J K Swales, 1999. "Sector-specific factor subsidies and employment in a regional price-endogenous export-base model," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(12), pages 2145-2168, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jregsc:v:45:y:2005:i:1:p:223-250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.