Can policy improve liquidity during a financial crisis?
This paper empirically examines the development and determinants of the liquidity position in the financial sector during the recent financial crisis in the Baltic-Scandinavian region. We look at fiscal and monetary policy implications of liquidity problems arising in the crisis. The results are consistent with theoretical predictions for a small open economy with the expected sign of changes and developments in common economic indicators. Changes (and the speed of changes) in interest rates, GDP and money supply have occurred relatively rapidly, meaning that the rising area of the LM-curve has been shorter than theory would predict. Market reactions took place quickly and simultaneously – there was no time for slow restructuring, so that liquidity needs were higher than usual.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strelnieku iela 4a, Riga, LV-1010|
Phone: +371 67039320
Fax: +371 67039318
Web page: http://www.biceps.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983.
"Nonmonetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in Propagation of the Great Depression,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 257-276, June.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1983. "Non-Monetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in the Propagation of the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 1054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Priit Vahter & Jaan Masso, 2006.
"Home versus Host Country Effects of FDI: Searching for New Evidence of Productivity Spillovers,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
820, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Priit Vahter & Jaan Masso, 2007. "Home versus Host Country Effects of FDI: Searching for New Evidence of Productivity Spillovers," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(2), pages 165-196.
- Priit Vahter & Jaan Masso, 2005. "Home Versus Host Country Effects of FDI: Searching for New Evidence of Productivity Spillovers," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-13, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Dec 2005.
- Jaan Masso & Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2008.
"The Effect of Outward Foreign Direct Investment on Home-Country Employment in a Low-Cost Transition Economy,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(6), pages 25-59, November.
- Jaan Masso & Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2008. "The Effect of Outward Foreign Direct Investment on Home-Country Employment in a Low-Cost Transition Economy," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 25-59, November.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Laura Vartia & Andreas Woergoetter, 2009.
"Capital Inflows, Household Debt And The Boom Bust Cycle In Estonia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp965, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Laura Vartia & Andreas Wörgötter, 2009. "Capital Inflows, Household Debt and the Boom-bust Cycle in Estonia," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 700, OECD Publishing.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bic:journl:v:10:y:2010:i:2:p:5-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lelde Jakobsone)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.