Testing the Nullity of GARCH Coefficients: Correction of the Standard Tests and Relative Efficiency Comparisons
This article is concerned by testing the nullity of coefficients in GARCH models. The problem is nonstandard because the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator is subject to positivity constraints. The paperestablishes the asymptotic null and local alternative distributions of Wald, score, and quasi-likelihood ratiotests. Efficiency comparisons under fixed alternatives are also considered. Two cases of special interestare: (i) tests of the null hypothesis of one coefficient equal to zero and (ii) tests of the null hypothesisof no conditional heteroscedasticity. The results are illustrated by means of simulation experiments. Anempirical application to the Standard & Poor 500 and the CAC40 indexes is proposed.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 104 (2009)
Issue (Month): 485 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jasa/index.cfm?fuseaction=main|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ling, Shiqing, 2007. "Self-weighted and local quasi-maximum likelihood estimators for ARMA-GARCH/IGARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 849-873, October.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Jin, 2001. "One-Sided Testing For Arch Effects Using Wavelets," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(06), pages 1051-1081, December.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Local and Global Testing of Linear and Nonlinear Inequality Constraints in Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 1-35, April.
- Francq, Christian & Zako an, Jean-Michel, 2006. "Mixing Properties Of A General Class Of Garch(1,1) Models Without Moment Assumptions On The Observed Process," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 815-834, October.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaasens, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1994.
"Adaptive Estimation in Time Series Models,"
9488, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2001.
"Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 683-734, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1999. "Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1229, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1997. "Adaptive estimation in time-series models," Other publications TiSEM aa253902-af93-4e1e-b974-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Other publications TiSEM c7de3f1c-c456-433e-a1c6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1996.
"Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric GARCH Models,"
1996-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, Feike C. & Klaassen, Chris A. J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 193-221, November.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda & BERNARD, Jean-Thomas, 2001.
"Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda & Bernard, Jean-Thomas & Genest, Ian, 2004. "Simulation-based finite-sample tests for heteroskedasticity and ARCH effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 317-347, October.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L. & Bernard, J.T. & Genest, I., 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," Cahiers de recherche 2001-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Jean-Marie Dufour & Ian Genest & Lynda Khalaf, 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-25, CIRANO.
- Claudia Klüppelberg & Ross A. Maller & Mark van de Vyver & Derick Wee, 2002. "Testing for reduction to random walk in autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 387-416, 06.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2007. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation in GARCH processes when some coefficients are equal to zero," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(9), pages 1265-1284, September.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-235, April.
- Marc Hallin & Abdelhadi Akharif, 2003. "Efficient detection of random coefficients in AR(p) models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2121, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Maxwell King & Ping Wu, 1997. "Locally optimal one-sided tests for multiparameter hypotheses," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 131-156.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "On Adaptive Estimation in Nonstationary ARMA Models with GARCH Errors," ISER Discussion Paper 0548, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Abdelhadi Akharif & Marc Hallin, 2003. "Efficient detection of random coefficients in autoregressive models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/127956, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Rogers, Alan J., 1986. "Modified lagrange multiplier tests for problems with one-sided alternatives," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 341-361, April.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Lee, John H H & King, Maxwell L, 1993. "A Locally Most Mean Powerful Based Score Test for ARCH and GARCH Regression Disturbances," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 17-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bes:jnlasa:v:104:i:485:y:2009:p:313-324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.