Testing the Nullity of GARCH Coefficients: Correction of the Standard Tests and Relative Efficiency Comparisons
This article is concerned by testing the nullity of coefficients in GARCH models. The problem is non standard because the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator is subject to positivity constraints. The paper establishes the asymptotic null and local alternative distributions of Wald, score, and quasi-likelihood ratio tests. Efficiency comparisons under fixed alternatives are also considered. Two cases of special interest are: (i) tests of the null hypothesis of one coefficient equal to zero and (ii) tests of the null hypothesis of no conditional heteroscedasticity. Finally, the proposed approach is used in the analysis of a set of financial data and leads to reconsider the preeminence of GARCH(1,1) among GARCH models.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 104 (2009)
Issue (Month): 485 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jasa/index.cfm?fuseaction=main|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Local and Global Testing of Linear and Nonlinear Inequality Constraints in Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 1-35, April.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L. & Bernard, J.T. & Genest, I., 2001.
"Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda & Bernard, Jean-Thomas & Genest, Ian, 2004. "Simulation-based finite-sample tests for heteroskedasticity and ARCH effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 317-347, October.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda & BERNARD, Jean-Thomas, 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," Cahiers de recherche 2001-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Jean-Marie Dufour & Ian Genest & Lynda Khalaf, 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-25, CIRANO.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Jin, 2001. "One-Sided Testing For Arch Effects Using Wavelets," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(06), pages 1051-1081, December.
- Drost, Feike C. & Klaassen, Chris A. J., 1997.
"Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 193-221, November.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1996. "Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric GARCH Models," Discussion Paper 1996-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2007. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation in GARCH processes when some coefficients are equal to zero," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(9), pages 1265-1284, September.
- Claudia Kl�ppelberg & Ross A. Maller & Mark van de Vyver & Derick Wee, 2002. "Testing for reduction to random walk in autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 387-416, 06.
- Ling, Shiqing, 2007. "Self-weighted and local quasi-maximum likelihood estimators for ARMA-GARCH/IGARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 849-873, October.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1999.
"Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1229, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2001. "Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 683-734, May.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "On Adaptive Estimation in Nonstationary ARMA Models with GARCH Errors," ISER Discussion Paper 0548, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaasens, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1994.
"Adaptive Estimation in Time Series Models,"
9488, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1997. "Adaptive estimation in time-series models," Other publications TiSEM aa253902-af93-4e1e-b974-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Francq, Christian & Zako an, Jean-Michel, 2006. "Mixing Properties Of A General Class Of Garch(1,1) Models Without Moment Assumptions On The Observed Process," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 815-834, October.
- Rogers, Alan J., 1986. "Modified lagrange multiplier tests for problems with one-sided alternatives," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 341-361, April.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Other publications TiSEM c7de3f1c-c456-433e-a1c6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-35, April.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, John H H & King, Maxwell L, 1993. "A Locally Most Mean Powerful Based Score Test for ARCH and GARCH Regression Disturbances," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 17-27, January.
- Abdelhadi Akharif & Marc Hallin, 2003. "Efficient detection of random coefficients in autoregressive models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/127956, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Maxwell King & Ping Wu, 1997. "Locally optimal one-sided tests for multiparameter hypotheses," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 131-156.
- Marc Hallin & Abdelhadi Akharif, 2003. "Efficient detection of random coefficients in AR(p) models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2121, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bes:jnlasa:v:104:i:485:y:2009:p:313-324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.