Implications Of Increased Regional Concentration And Oligopsonistic Coordination In The Beef Packing Industry
This article proposes an oligopsony pricing model for projecting the effects of increased concentration or oligopsonistic coordination in beef packing using simulation methods. The model combines an explicit behavioral theory of packing firms with an attempt to respect the regional scope of cattle procurement markets. Our results indicate less danger of falling cattle prices, as a results of increase packer concentration or coordination, than do results from conventional econometric studies.
Volume (Year): 16 (1991)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, D. Gale & Connor, John M. & Josling, Timothy E. & Schmitz, Andrew & Schuh, G. Edward, 1989. "Concentration Issues In The U.S. Beef Subsector," Working Papers 115907, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-162, February.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Clarke, Roger & Davies, Stephen W, 1982. "Market Structure and Price-Cost Margins," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(195), pages 277-287, August.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1990. "Measuring Market Power in Multi-Product Oligopolies: The U.S. Meat Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11112, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dickson, V. A. & Yu, Weiqiu, 1989. "Welfare losses in Canadian manufacturing under alternative oligopoly regimes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 257-267, June.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1988. "In Pursuit of Monopoly Power: Recent Quantitative Work in Industrial Economics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(2), pages 107-123, April.
- Quail, Gwen & Marion, Bruce & Geithman, Frederick & Marquardt, Jeffrey, 1986. "The Impact of Packer Buyer Concentration on Live Cattle Prices," Working Papers 204089, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)