Arbitrage Conditions, Interest Rates, and Commodity Prices
This research examines the arbitrage condition between Financial markets and commodity markets According to the standard arbitrage condition, for risk-neutral investors to be indifferent between holding securities or commodities, the expected commodity price appreciation, adjusted for physical storage costs, must equal the rate of return on financial assets For agritcultural commodities, however, the convenience yield drives a wedge between the interest return and the commodity price spread Empirical results support this position, but also provide evidence that the commodity price spread properly incorporates interest costs
Volume (Year): (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kitchen, John & Denbaly, Mark, 1987. "Commodity Prices, Money Surprises, and Fed Credibility: A Comment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 246-51, May.
- Husted, Steven & Kitchen, John, 1985. "Some Evidence on the International Transmission of U.S. Money Supply Announcement Effects," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 456-66, November.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Bilson, John F O, 1985. "Macroeconomic Stability and Flexible Exchange Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 62-67, May.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1985. "Commodity Prices, Money Surprises and Fed Credibility," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 425-38, November.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Levich, Richard M, 1975. "Covered Interest Arbitrage: Unexploited Profits?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 325-38, April.
- Mussa, Michael, 1982. "A Model of Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 74-104, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uersja:136728. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.