The Demand for Wine and Beer
In this paper annual data series covering 1955-56 to 1978-79 are used to estimate the elasticity of demand for both wine and beer. These are first estimated using a flexible functional form. The habit formation hypothesis and the role of social and demographic factors are also examined. The demand for wine in aggregate is estimated to be relatively price inelastic in the short run, while in the long run it is relatively price elastic. With respect to income, the demand for wine is shown to be relatively highly elastic. For beer, demand with respect to price and income is found to be relatively inelastic in the short run as well as in the long run. These results can be used to evaluate the impact of changes in patterns of consumption and of government taxation policies on the industry.
Volume (Year): 51 (1983)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Alan & Deaton, Angus S, 1972. "Surveys in Applied Economics: Models of Consumer Behaviour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1145-1236, December.
- Hogarty, Thomas F & Elzinga, Kenneth G, 1972. "The Demand for Beer," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(2), pages 195-98, May.
- K.W. Clements & L.W. Johnson, 1982.
"The Demand for Beer, Wine and Spirits: A system-wide analysis,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
82-12, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Johnson, Lester W, 1983. "The Demand for Beer, Wine, and Spirits: A Systemwide Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 273-304, July.
- Johnson, James A & Oksanen, Ernest H, 1977. "Estimation of Demand for Alcoholic Beverages in Canada from Pooled Time Series and Cross Sections," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 113-18, February.
- Podder, N, 1971. "Patterns of Household Consumption Expenditures in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(119), pages 379-98, September.
- Savin, N. E. & White, Kenneth J., 1978. "Estimation and testing for functional form and autocorrelation : A simultaneous approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-12, August.
- Labys, Walter C., 1976. "An International Comparison Of Price And Income Elasticities For Wine Consumption," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 20(01), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12456. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.