Farm and Retail Food Prices
This paper analyses the relationship between monthly observations on farm level and retail level prices of three meats, seven fresh vegetables, five fresh fruits, eggs and cereals over the 1970's. A priori reasoning and results of Sim's casuality tests suggest that in most cases changes in farm prices cause changes in retail prices rather than the reverse or a simultaneous relationship. Markup price relationships are estimated. Most of the variation of retail prices is explained by the current farm price, lagged farm prices, a wage variable, and last period's retail price of a substitute product.
Volume (Year): 52 (1984)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hernandez-Iglesias, C. & Hernandez-Iglesias, F., 1981. "Causality and the independence phenomenon : The case of the demand for money," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 247-263, February.
- Saunders, Peter G, 1981. "Price Determination in Australian Manufacturing Firms: A Cross-Section Study," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(37), pages 359-75, December.
- Hancock, Keith, 1976. "The Relation between Changes in Costs and Changes in Product Prices in Australian Manufacturing Industries 1949-50 to 1967-68," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 52(137), pages 53-68, March.
- R. McFall Lamm & Paul C. Westcott, 1981. "The Effects of Changing Input Costs on Food Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(2), pages 187-196.
- Hall, V B, 1980.
"Excess Demand and Expectations Influences on Price Changes in Australian Manufacturing Industry,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 56(152), pages 69-81, March.
- Hall, V.B., 1978. "Excess Demand And Expectations Influences On Price Changes In Australian Manufacturing Industry," Working Papers 24, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- B. S. Fisher, 1981. "The Impact of Changing Marketing Margins on Farm Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(2), pages 261-263.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1972. "Money, Income, and Causality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 540-52, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.