Socioeconomic, Health and Behavioural Determinants of Obesity in Europe
In this study we investigate the impact of various socioeconomic, health and behavioural conditions on the prevalence of obesity in nine EU countries using the â€œEuropean Community Household Panelâ€ Dataset. The effect of those factors on obesity is estimated separately for males and females using a model that follows the standard normal cumulative density function (probit). Our findings indicate that low socioeconomic profile as well as bad health leads to a higher body mass, while smokers are less likely to be obese. These findings follow more or less an analogous trend for the nine European countries and hold for both sexes, appearing, though, to be more consistent for the females.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joan Costa-Font & Joan Gil, 2004.
"Social interactions and the contemporaneous determinants of individuals' weight,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2253-2263.
- Joan Costa-Font & Joan Gil, "undated". "Social interactions and the contemporaneous determinants of individuals’ weight," Working Papers 2004-19, FEDEA.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2007:i:3:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chou, Shin-Yi & Grossman, Michael & Saffer, Henry, 2004. "An economic analysis of adult obesity: results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 565-587, May.
- Shin-Yi Chou & Michael Grossman & Henry Saffer, 2002. "An Economic Analysis of Adult Obesity: Results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," NBER Working Papers 9247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Cantarero & Marta Pascual, 2007. "Obesity and socio-economic inequalities in spain: evidence from the ECHP," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(3), pages 1-9.
- Anna Sanz De Galdeano, 2005. "The Obesity Epidemic in Europe," CSEF Working Papers 143, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna, 2005. "The Obesity Epidemic in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1814, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Cawley, 2000. "Body Weight and Women's Labor Market Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 7841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:reapec:143220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.