The Role of Management Behavior in Agricultural Cooperatives
Mintzburgâ€™s managerial working role model is used to explore the ways roles and behavior of the general manager of a user-oriented firm differ from those of the manager of an investor-owned firm (IOF). It is argued that, in the roles of conflict resolution, resource allocation, information spokesperson, and leadership, the challenges of a user-oriented manager are not only significantly different but often more difficult. It is concluded that managers comfortable with complexity; technical-operation, people-oriented resource allocation; multi-stakeholder communication; and with strong coalition- building skills are most successful in user-oriented organizations.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Caves & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Cooperatives' shares in farm industries: Organizational and policy factors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 1-19.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-349, June.
- Staatz, John M., 1994. "A Comment on Phillips' "Economic Nature of the Cooperative Association"," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Henry Mintzberg, 1971. "Managerial Work: Analysis from Observation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 97-110, October.
- Peterson, H. Christopher, 1992. "The Economic Role and Limitations of Cooperatives: An Investment Cash Flow Derivation," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Royer, Jeffrey S., 1992. "Cooperative Principles and Equity Financing: A Critical Discussion," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joagco:46402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.