Cooperatives' shares in farm industries: Organizational and policy factors
Cooperatives compete in farm-supply and marketing industries with investor-owned enterprises. Cooperatives' shares should depend on their distinctive organization: dealing “at cost” with members whose equities are tied to their current transactions with the cooperative. We show how this ownership structure affects cooperatives' activities and investment decisions, how it interacts with the public policies affording cooperatives special tax and antitrust status, and what these factors together imply for cooperatives' market shares and the extent of their vertical integration. Available data permit only informal tests of these predictions, but the evidence seems to confirm them strongly.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 2 (1986)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, John P, 1984. "Membership and Employment in an Egalitarian Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(23), pages 295-305, August.
- Pinhas Zusman, 1982. "Group Choice in an Agricultural Marketing Co-operative," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(2), pages 220-34, May.
- Meade, James E, 1972. "The Theory of Labour-Managed Firms and of Profit Sharing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 402-28, Supplemen.
- Jensen, Michael C & Meckling, William H, 1979. "Rights and Production Functions: An Application to Labor-managed Firms and Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 469-506, October.
- R. Carson, 1977. "A Theory of Co-operatives," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 565-89, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:2:y:1986:i:1:p:1-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.