Area response in wheat production: The Australian wheat-sheep zone
This paper investigates the key decision parameters of farmers related to the allocation of land between wheat production and pasture for sheep (wool) production. Wheat area supply response, is estimated across the Australian wheat-sheep zone using data for the period 1991 to 2004. Statistical results reveal that wheat growers in Western Australia are more price responsive than growers in the eastern states. Area adjustment is not significantly different between the regions. Rainfall has a positive influence on wheat production while time-related exogenous factors such as technical progress seemed to have little influence on the wheat yield over this period.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Philip D., 1988. "Some Comparisons of Recent Estimates of Agricultural Supply Elasticities for the Australian Economy," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(03), December.
- Sanderson, B.A. & Quilkey, John J. & Freebairn, John W., 1980. "Supply Response Of Australian Wheat Growers," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 24(02), August.
- B. A. Sanderson & J. J. Quilkey & J. W. Freebairn, 1980. "Supply Response Of Australian Wheat Growers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 24(2), pages 129-140, 08.
- Griffin, Ronald C. & Montgomery, John M. & Rister, M. Edward, 1987. "Selecting Functional Form In Production Function Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Alicia N. Rambaldi & Phil Simmons, 2000. "Response to price and production risk: The case of Australian wheat," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 345-359, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:afbmau:120909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.