Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57| 58
1997, Volume 45, Issue 8
- 1199-1205 Physician judgments of chronic pain patients
by Tait, Raymond C. & Chibnall, John T.
- 1207-1221 Positive psychological states and coping with severe stress
by Folkman, Susan
- 1223-1229 The treatment of insomnia through mass media, the results of a televised behavioural training programme
by Oosterhuis, A. & Klip, E. C.
- 1231-1239 Does intelligence account for the link between maternal literacy and child survival?
by Sandiford, P. & Cassel, J. & Sanchez, G. & Coldham, C.
- 1241-1249 Cultural orientation and use of cannabis and inhalants among secondary school children in Zimbabwe
by Eide, Arne H. & Acuda, S. W.
- 1251-1264 Social stress and trauma: Synthesis and spatial analysis
by Harries, Keith
- 1265-1276 Russian medical care in the 1990s: A user's perspective
by Brown, Julie V. & Rusinova, Nina L.
- 1277-1288 Reactance theory and patient noncompliance
by Fogarty, Jeanne S.
- 1289-1297 Valuing health status using VAS and TTO: What lies behind the numbers?
by Robinson, Angela & Dolan, Paul & Williams, Alan
- 1299-1309 Dimensions of quality of life expressed by men treated for metastatic prostate cancer
by Clark, Jack A. & Wray, Nelda & Brody, Baruch & Ashton, Carol & Giesler, Brian & Watkins, Herbert
1997, Volume 45, Issue 7
- 973-977 The economic cost of homicide in New Zealand
by Fanslow, Janet & Coggan, Carolyn & Miller, Brent & Norton, Robyn
- 979-989 Why women say yes to prenatal diagnosis
by Press, Nancy & Browner, C. H.
- 991-1004 Pneumonia perceptions and management: An ethnographic study in urban squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan
by Hussain, Rafat & Lobo, Melvyn A. & Inam, Bazmi & Khan, Amanullah & Qureshi, Asma Fozia & Marsh, David
- 1005-1015 "Painting a Leonardo with finger paint": Medical practitioners communicating about death with Aboriginal people
by Weeramanthri, Tarun
- 1017-1029 Caregiving: A common or uncommon experience?
by Howe, Anna L. & Schofield, Hilary & Herrman, Helen
- 1031-1040 Infant mortality among various nationalities in the middle part of Guizhou, China
by Huang, Wenyong & Yu, Huachun & Wang, Fuying & Li, Guanchong
- 1041-1049 Modern medicine and the "uncertain body": From corporeality to hyperreality?
by Williams, Simon J.
- 1051-1063 Quality of life and social production functions: A framework for understanding health effects
by Ormel, Johan & Lindenberg, Siegwart & Steverink, Nardi & Vonkorff, Michael
- 1065-1074 Traditional medicine in contemporary Ghana: A public policy analysis
by Tsey, Komla
- 1075-1087 The "race" concept in smoking: A review of the research on African Americans
by King, Gary
- 1089-1098 Urban small area variation in adolescents' health behaviour
by Karvonen, Sakari & Rimpelä, Arja H.
- 1099-1110 Perceived work conditions and work-related symptoms among employed Finns
by Räsänen, Kimmo & Notkola, Veijo & Husman, Kaj
- 1111-1120 Chronic work stress, sickness absence, and hypertension in middle managers: General or specific sociological explanations?
by Peter, Richard & Siegrist, Johannes
- 1121-1127 The relationship of income inequality to mortality: Does the choice of indicator matter?
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P.
- 1129-1133 Contingent legitimacy: U.K. alternative practitioners and inter-sectoral acceptance
by Tovey, Philip
- 1135-1138 Role concepts and expectations of physicians and nurses in hospitals
by Verschuren, P. J. M. & Masselink, H.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 6
- 803-809 Male mortality differentials by socio-economic group in Ireland
by O'Shea, Eamon
- 811-825 The black box in somatization: Unexplained physical symptoms, culture, and narratives of trauma
by Waitzkin, Howard & Magaña, Holly
- 827-836 Level of education, age of bearing children and mental health of women
by Williams, Sheila & McGee, Rob & Olaman, Susan & Knight, Robert
- 837-845 The legitimacy of grieving: The partner's experience at miscarriage
by Puddifoot, John E. & Johnson, Martin P.
- 847-858 Healthy or druggy? Self-image, ideal image and smoking behaviour among young people
by Amos, Amanda & Gray, David & Currie, Candace & Elton, Rob
- 859-866 The influence of socioeconomic status on health service utilisation by patients with AIDS in North Italy
by Tramarin, A. & Campostrini, S. & Tolley, K. & De Lalla, F.
- 867-877 Mutual influences of health and poverty evidence from German panel data
by Thiede, Michael & Traub, Stefan
- 879-885 Validating a satisfaction questionnaire using multiple approaches: A case study
by Etter, Jean-François & Perneger, Thomas V.
- 887-892 The ethics of euthanasia--Attitudes and practice among Norwegian physicians
by Førde, Reidun & Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw & Falkum, Erik
- 893-902 People, places and coronary heart disease risk factors: A multilevel analysis of the Scottish heart health study archive
by Hart, Carole & Ecob, Russell & Smith, George Davey
- 903-914 The socio-spatial stigmatization of homelessness and HIV/AIDS: Toward an explanation of the NIMBY syndrome
by Takahashi, Lois M.
- 915-923 The physical costs of AIDS caregiving
by Leblanc, Allen J. & London, Andrew S. & Aneshensel, Carol S.
- 925-936 Choosing a birth attendant: The influence of a woman's childbirth definition
by Howell-White, Sandra
- 937-942 Unplanned pregnancies in Harare: What are the social and sexual determinants?
by Mbizvo, M. T. & Bonduelle, M. M. J. & Chadzuka, S. & Lindmark, G. & Nystrom, L.
- 943-956 Age- and sex-differentials in morbidity at the start of an epidemiological transition: Returns from the 1880 U.S. Census
by Elman, Cheryl & Myers, George
- 957-966 AIDS-related knowledge, attitudes and behaviour among South African street youth: Reflections on power, sexuality and the autonomous self
by Swart-Kruger, Jill & Richter, Linda M.
- 967-970 How marginal is a "marginalised group"?
by Crewe, Mary
1997, Volume 45, Issue 5
- 649-657 Space, sterility and surgery: Circuits of hygiene in the operating theatre
by Fox, Nick J.
- 659-667 Household cost of seeking malaria care. A retrospective study of two districts in Ghana
by Asenso-Okyere, W. K. & Dzator, Janet A.
- 669-676 A qualitative study of sexual harassment of female doctors by patients
by Schneider, Margaret & Phillips, Susan P.
- 677-687 Social network associations with contraceptive use among Cameroonian women in voluntary associations
by Valente, Thomas W. & Watkins, Susan C. & Jato, Miriam N. & Van Der Straten, Ariane & Tsitsol, Louis-Philippe M.
- 689-698 The conceptual basis of ethnic group terminology and classifications
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 699-709 Patients' and professionals' understandings of the causes of chronic pain: Blame, responsibility and identity protection
by Eccleston, Chris & De C. Williams, Amanda C. & Rogers, Wendy Stainton
- 711-722 Gender differences in medical treatment: The case of physician-prescribed activity restrictions
by Safran, Dana Gelb & Rogers, William H. & Tarlov, Alvin R. & McHorney, Colleen A. & Ware, John E.
- 723-729 Salary inequality and primary care integration in South Africa
by Bachmann, Max O. & Makan, Bupendra
- 731-738 Quality of sleep during economic recession in Finland: A longitudinal cohort study
by Hyyppä, Markku T. & Kronholm, Erkki & Alanen, Erkki
- 739-750 Explaining disablement in modern times: Hand-injured workers' accounts of their injuries in Hong Kong
by Cheng, Y. H.
- 751-760 Climacteric hormone therapy in medical and lay texts in Finland from 1955 to 1992
by Topo, Päivi
- 761-771 Comparing measures of health inequality
by Manor, Orly & Matthews, Sharon & Power, Chris
- 773-782 Social support as conversation: Analysing breast cancer patients' interactions with their partners
by Pistrang, Nancy & Barker, Chris & Rutter, Christine
- 783-795 Psychosocial study of epilepsy in Africa
by Jilek-Aall, Louise & Jilek, Martica & Kaaya, John & Mkombachepa, Lilian & Hillary, Kalister
- 797-797 Letter to the editor
by Pittroff, Rudi
- 799-799 Response to letter to the editor by Dr Rudi Pittroff
by Norbeck, Jane S. & Dejoseph, Jeanne F.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 4
- 505-510 Introduction and overview
by Sloan, Frank A. & Grabowski, Henry G.
- 511-521 Managed care pharmacy, socioeconomic assessments and drug adoption decisions
by Lyles, Alan & Luce, Bryan R. & Rentz, Anne M.
- 523-533 Hospital pharmacy decisions, cost containment, and the use of cost-effectiveness analysis
by Sloan, Frank A. & Whetten-Goldstein, Kathryn & Wilson, Alicia
- 535-544 Pharmacy benefit management, cost-effectiveness analysis and drug formulary decisions
by Grabowski, Henry & Mullins, C. Daniel
- 545-554 The Oregon experiment: The role of cost-benefit analysis in the allocation of Medicaid funds
by Blumstein, James F.
- 555-562 Making economic evaluations respectable
by Reinhardt, Uwe E.
- 563-581 Australian economic evaluation and government decisions on pharmaceuticals, compared to assessment of other health technologies
by Hailey, David
- 583-595 Economic evaluation under managed competition: Evidence from the U.K
by Drummond, Michael & Cooke, Jonathan & Walley, Tom
- 597-604 Economic evaluation of medical technologies in Sweden
by Jönsson, Bengt
- 605-620 Economic evaluation in support of national health policy: The case of the Netherlands
by Elsinga, Einte & Rutten, Frans F. H.
- 621-633 Economic evaluation of medical technologies: From theory to practice--The German perspective
by Von Der Schulenburg, J. -Matthias Graf
- 635-643 Pharmaceutical economy and the economic assessment of drugs in France
by Pen, Claude Le
- 645-647 Conclusions and implications
by Sloan, Frank A. & Grabowski, Henry G.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 3
- 341-349 Staying single in the 1990s: Single-handed practitioners in the new National Health Service
by Lunt, Neil & Atkin, Karl & Hirst, Michael
- 351-360 Health sector reform: Lessons from China
by Bloom, Gerald & Xingyuan, Gu
- 361-372 From lineage to conjugality: The social context of fertility decisions among the Pare of Northern Tanzania
by Hollos, Marida & Larsen, Ulla
- 373-381 Consumerism, reflexivity and the medical encounter
by Lupton, Deborah
- 383-397 Age-specific education and income gradients in morbidity and mortality in a Canadian province
by Mustard, Cameron A. & Derksen, Shelley & Berthelot, Jean-marie & Wolfson, Michael & Roos, Leslie L.
- 399-410 Socioeconomic inequality and psychopathology: Are socioeconomic status and social class interchangeable?
by Wohlfarth, Tamar
- 411-418 Prediction of psychological adjustment to multiple sclerosis
by Barnwell, Alison M. & Kavanagh, David J.
- 419-427 Anxiety and patient participation in clinical decision-making: The case of patients with ureteral calculi
by Margalith, Ilana & Shapiro, Amos
- 429-439 Back pain claim rates and the business cycle
by Brooker, Ann-Sylvia & Frank, John W. & Tarasuk, Valerie S.
- 441-447 The modern mental health system in Nepal: Organizational persistence in the absence of legitimating myths
by Tausig, Mark & Subedi, Sree
- 449-463 An unruly mélange? Coordinating external resources to the health sector: A review
by Buse, Kent & Walt, Gill
- 465-476 Disadvantage and male cancer incidence and mortality in New South Wales 1985-1993
by Burnley, I. H.
- 477-484 Awareness of dying: Prevalence, causes and consequences
by Seale, Clive & Addington-Hall, Julia & McCarthy, Mark
- 485-496 Ethnicity, equity and the use of health services in the British NHS
by Smaje, Chris & Le Grand, Julian
- 497-499 Problem-based learning in medicine: New curriculum, old stereotypes
by Phillips, Susan P.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 2
- 171-188 Is nondashmetropolitan residence a risk factor for poor birth outcome in the U.S.?
by Larson, Eric H. & Hart, L. Gary & Rosenblatt, Roger A.
- 189-201 Medication, chronic illness and identity: The perspective of people with asthma
by Adams, Stephanie & Pill, Roisin & Jones, Alan
- 203-212 Health care and consumer choice: Medical and alternative therapies
by Kelner, Merrijoy & Wellman, Beverly
- 213-220 Socioeconomic inequity in health care: A study of services utilization in Curaçao
by Alberts, Jantina F. & Sanderman, Robbert & Eimers, J. Marietta & Van Den Heuvel, Wim J. A.
- 221-230 Quality of life: A dynamic construct
by Allison, P. J. & Locker, D. & Feine, J. S.
- 231-246 Sex differences in physical symptoms: The contribution of symptom perception theory
by van Wijk, Cécile M. T. Gijsbers & Kolk, Annemarie M.
- 247-259 Population growth, poverty and health
by Kibirige, Joachim S.
- 261-271 Appropriateness in health care: Application to prescribing
by Buetow, Stephen A. & Sibbald, Bonnie & Cantrill, Judith A. & Halliwell, Shirley
- 273-281 Migrancy, masculine identities and AIDS: The psychosocial context of HIV transmission on the South African gold mines
by Campbell, Catherine
- 283-294 Cleaning the womb: Constructions of cervical screening and womb cancer among rural Black women in South Africa
by Wood, Katharine & Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah
- 295-303 Head injury rehabilitation in the U.K.: An economic perspective
by McGregor, K. & Pentland, B.
- 305-317 Female life expectancy, gender stratification, health status, and level of economic development: A cross-national study of less developed countries
by Williamson, John B. & Boehmer, Ulrike
- 319-329 Communicating with the people about HIV infection risk as a basis for planning interventions: Lessons from the Kagera region of Tanzania
by Killewo, J. & Sandström, A. & Dahlgren, L. & Wall, S.
- 331-340 The effect of spatial definition on the allocation of clients to screening clinics
by Hyndman, Jilda & D'Arcy, C. & Holman, J. & Jamrozik, K.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 1
- 1-2 Conventions, ethics and laws in journal publishing
by Macintyre, Sally
- 3-14 Morbidity and Irish Catholic descent in Britain: An ethnic and religious minority 150 years on
by Abbotts, Joanne & Williams, Rory & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate & West, Patrick
- 15-22 HIV-infected women: Barriers to AZT use
by Siegel, Karolynn & Gorey, Eileen
- 23-33 Negotiating spaces in home environments: Older women living with arthritis
by Moss, Pamela
- 35-40 Young doctors' health--I. How do working conditions affect attitudes, health and performance?
by Baldwin, P. J. & Dodd, M. & Wrate, R. W.
- 41-44 Young doctors' health--II. Health and health behaviour
by Baldwin, P. J. & Dodd, M. & Wrate, R. M.
- 45-49 The status of genetic material and genetic information in The Netherlands
by de Witte, Joke I. & Welie, Jos V. M.
- 51-60 Ownership of genetic material and information
by de Witte, Joke I. & Have, Henk Ten
- 61-69 World War I origins of the syphilis epidemic among 20th century black Americans: A biohistorical analysis
by Miles, Toni P. & McBride, David
- 71-89 Bore holes and the vanishing of guinea worm disease in Ghana's Upper Region
by Hunter, John M.
- 91-98 Lay injection practices among migrant farmworkers in the age of AIDS: Evolution of a biomedical folk practice
by McVea, Kristine L. S. P.
- 99-111 Life stories and shared experience
by Steffen, Vibeke
- 113-125 Sociocultural factors and the promotion of exclusive breastfeeding in rural Yoruba communities of Osun State, Nigeria
by Davies-Adetugbo, Anita A.
- 127-136 Gender differences in correlates of disablement among the elderly in Egypt
by Lamb, Vicki L.
- 137-147 Understanding donors' motivations: A study of unrelated bone marrow donors
by Switzer, Galen E. & Dew, Mary Amanda & Butterworth, Victoria A. & Simmons, Roberta G. & Schimmel, Mindy
- 149-157 Women's health status and use of health services in a rapidly growing peri-urban area of South Africa
by Hoffman, M. & Pick, W. M. & Cooper, D. & Myers, J. E.
- 159-169 Dietary and lifestyle correlates of passive smoking in Hong Kong, Japan, Sweden, and the U.S.A
by Koo, Linda C. & Kabat, Geoffrey C. & Rylander, Ragnar & Tominaga, Suketami & Kato, Ikuko & Ho, John H-C.
1997, Volume 44, Issue 12
- 1771-1779 Some conceptual considerations on the sense of coherence
by Geyer, Siegfried
- 1781-1790 The poor pay more: Health-related inequality in Thailand
by Pannarunothai, Supasit & Mills, Anne
- 1791-1803 Health-seeking strategies and sexual health among female sex workers in urban India: Implications for research and service provision
by Evans, Catrin & Lambert, Helen
- 1805-1816 Costs and benefits of improving tuberculosis control: The case of Thailand
by Sawert, Holger & Kongsin, Sukhontha & Payanandan, Vallop & Akarasewi, Pasakorn & Nunn, Paul P. & Raviglione, Mario C.
- 1817-1824 Women's perceptions of the complications of pregnancy and childbirth in two Esan communities, Edo State, Nigeria
by Asowa-Omorodion, Francisca Isibhakhome
- 1825-1832 Women physicians in Quebec
by De Koninck, Maria & Bergeron, Pierre & Bourbonnais, Renée
- 1833-1845 Women's hidden transcripts about abortion in Brazil
by Nations, Marilyn K. & Misago, Chizuru & Fonseca, Walter & Correia, Luciano L. & Campbell, Oona M. R.
- 1847-1859 Female labor force participation and suicide
by Burr, Jeffrey A. & McCall, Patricia L. & Powell-Griner, Eve
- 1861-1869 Girls, pecking order and smoking
by Michell, Lynn & Amos, Amanda
- 1871-1880 Long-term benzodiazepine use: Factors of importance and the development of individual use patterns over time--A 13-year follow-up in a Swedish community
by Isacson, Dag
- 1881-1891 Socioeconomic status and adolescent injuries
by Williams, J. M. & Currie, C. E. & Wright, P. & Elton, R. A. & Beattie, T. F.
- 1893-1902 Dispersion index: Measuring trend assessment of geographical inequality in health--The example of under-five mortality in the Middle East/North African region, 1980-1994
by Galal, Osman M. & Qureshi, Azhar K.
- 1903-1909 The Gambian National Impregnated Bednet Programme: Evaluation of the 1994 cost recovery trial
by Müller, Olaf & Cham, Kabbir & Jaffar, Shabbar & Greenwood, Brian
- 1911-1917 Willingness to pay for antihypertensive care: Evidence from a staff-model HMO
by Ramsey, Scott D. & Sullivan, Sean D. & Psaty, Bruce M. & Patrick, Donald L.
- 1919-1929 Are there social correlates to suicide?
by Mäkinen, Ilkka
- 1931-1932 A call for consistency in definition of breastfeeding behaviors
by Labbok, Miriam H. & Coffin, C. Jared
1997, Volume 44, Issue 11
- 1603-1610 Patients' acceptance of waiting for cataract surgery: What makes a wait too long?
by Dunn, Elaine & Black, Charlyn & Alonso, Jordi & Norregaard, Jens Christian & Anderson, Gerard F.
- 1611-1621 Meanings in policy: A textual analysis of Canada's "Achieving Health for All" document
by Iannantuono, Adele & Eyles, John
- 1623-1647 Health status and risk factors of seminomadic pastoralists in Mongolia: A geographical approach
by Foggin, Peter M. & Farkas, Otto & Shiirev-Adiya, S. & Chinbat, B.
- 1649-1659 Urban ecological structure and perceived child and adolescent psychological disorder
by Leclair, James A. & Innes, Frank C.
- 1661-1674 Community and self: Concepts for rural physician integration and retention
by Cutchin, Malcolm P.
- 1675-1684 Intra-household allocation of food and health care: Current findings and understandings--Introduction
by Messer, Ellen
- 1685-1695 Social class, gender and intrahousehold food allocations to children in South Asia
by Miller, Barbara D.
- 1697-1709 Food allocation in rural Peruvian households: Concepts and behavior regarding children
by Graham, Margaret A.
- 1711-1723 Health care allocation and selective neglect in rural Peru
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1725-1738 Why are boys so small? Child growth, diet and gender near Ranomafana, Madagascar
by Hardenbergh, Sabrina H. B.
- 1739-1749 Cultural factors, caloric intake and micronutrient sufficiency in rural Nepali households
by Gittelsohn, Joel & Thapa, Meera & Landman, Laura T.
- 1751-1759 Examining the gender gap in nutrition: An example from rural Mexico
by Backstrand, Jeffrey R. & Allen, Lindsay H. & Pelto, Gretel H. & Chávez, Adolfo
- 1761-1766 Physician location survey: Self-reported and census-defined rural/urban locations
by Lin, Ge & Rosenthal, Thomas C. & Horwitz, Mary
1997, Volume 44, Issue 10
- 1433-1452 Disclosure practices and cultural narratives: Understanding concealment and silence around cancer in Tuscany, Italy
by Gordon, Deborah R. & Paci, Eugenio
- 1453-1464 Designing educational messages to improve weaning food hygiene practices of families living in proverty
by Monte, Cristina M. G. & Ashworth, Ann & Nations, Marilyn K. & Lima, A. A. & Barreto, A. & Huttly, Sharon R. A.
- 1465-1482 A change of heart and a change of mind? Technology and the redefinition of death in 1968
by Giacomini, Mita
- 1483-1490 Age, adjustment, and costs: A study of chronic illnesses
by Watt, Susan & Roberts, Jacqueline & Browne, Gina & Gafni, Amiram
- 1491-1502 Surrogate assessment of coronary artery disease patients' functional capacity
by Von Dras, Dean D. & Siegler, Ilene C. & Williams, Redford B. & Clapp-Channing, Nancy & Haney, Thomas L. & Mark, Daniel B.
- 1503-1517 Beyond single indicators of social networks: A LISREL analysis of social ties among the elderly
by Glass, Thomas A. & de Leon, Carlos F. Mendes & Seeman, Teresa E. & Berkman, Lisa F.
- 1519-1530 Mapping visual analogue scale health state valuations onto standard gamble and time trade-off values
by Dolan, Paul & Sutton, Matthew
- 1531-1540 Patient preference for genders of health professionals
by Kerssens, Jan J. & Bensing, Jozien M. & Andela, Margriet G.
- 1541-1551 Women's health care: For whom and why?
by van den Brink-Muinen, A.
- 1553-1561 Patterns of sexual behaviour in a rural population in north-western Tanzania
by Munguti, Katua & Grosskurth, Heiner & Newell, James & Senkoro, Kesheni & Mosha, Frank & Todd, James & Mayaud, Philippe & Gavyole, Awena & Quigley, Maria & Hayes, Richard
- 1563-1563 Introduction to symposium: On-going studies in critical medical anthropology
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1565-1573 The misconstruction of critical medical anthropology: A response to a cultural constructivist critique
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1575-1583 Constructing a complex of contagion: The perceptions of AIDS among working prostitutes in Costa Rica
by Downe, Pamela J.
- 1585-1600 Hard lives and evil winds: Illness aetiology and the search for healing amongst Ciskeian villagers
by Segar, Julia
1997, Volume 44, Issue 9
- 1259-1269 Studying the quality of life after organ transplantation: Research problems and solutions
by Joralemon, Donald & Fujinaga, Kim Mika
- 1271-1283 Kidney failure and transplantation in China
by Ikels, Charlotte
- 1285-1302 Changing patterns of pharmaceutical practice in the United States
by Vuckovic, Nancy & Nichter, Mark
- 1303-1312 Effectiveness of condoms in preventing HIV transmission
by Pinkerton, Steven D. & Abramson, Paul R.
- 1313-1323 After unification: Gender and subjective health status in East and West Germany
by Lüschen, Günther & Geling, Olga & Janßen, Christian & Kunz, Gerhard & Von Dem Knesebeck, Olaf
- 1325-1339 Understanding the variability in the effectiveness of community heart health programs: A meta-analysis
by Sellers, Deborah E. & Crawford, Sybil L. & Bullock, Karen & Mckinlay, John B.
- 1341-1348 Nonconventional medicine in Israel: Consultation patterns of the Israeli population and attitudes of primary care physicians
by Bernstein, Judith H. & Shuval, Judith T.
- 1349-1356 The socio-economic distribution of heart diseases: Changing gradients in the Netherlands
by Otten, Ferdy W. J. & Bosma, Hans H. A.
- 1357-1365 The impact of anomia as a factor in a demand resource model of health
by Freidl, W.
- 1367-1369 Policy, praxis, and medical anthropology : Introduction: Health policy and health praxis in the United States--A symposium
by Anglin, Mary K.
- 1371-1380 Pregnancy and addiction: Translating research into practice
by Whiteford, Linda M. & Vitucci, Judi
- 1381-1391 Anthropological research and the politics of HIV prevention: Towards a critique of policy and priorities in the age of AIDS
by Waterston, Alisse
- 1393-1401 Clearing the air: Challenges to introducing smoking restrictions in West Virginia
by Stebbins, Kenyon R.
- 1403-1415 Working from the inside out: Implications of breast cancer activism for biomedical policies and practices
by Anglin, Mary K.
- 1417-1425 Politicizing abortion: Personal morality and professional responsibility of residents training in the United States
by Lazarus, Ellen S.
- 1427-1430 Firearm suicide among older women in the U.S
by Kaplan, Mark S. & Adamek, Margaret E. & Geling, Olga & Calderon, Alvin
1997, Volume 44, Issue 8
- 1081-1088 Problems and promises of the protocol
by Berg, Marc
- 1089-1096 Hostility, cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption in the general population
by Whiteman, M. C. & Fowkes, F. G. R. & Deary, I. J. & Lee, A. J.
- 1097-1106 High functioning autistic children and the construction of "normal family life"
by Gray, David E.
- 1107-1114 Prenatal biopsychosocial risk assessment and low birthweight
by Herrera, Julian A. & Salmerón, Bertha & Hurtado, Hugo
- 1115-1127 The influence of culture and context on the pre- and post-migration experience of school-aged refugees from Central America and Southeast Asia in Canada
by Rousseau, Cecile & Drapeau, Aline & Corin, Ellen
- 1129-1139 Coping with loss of ability: "Good grief" or episodic stress responses?
by Hewson, Daphne
- 1141-1148 Local and institutional interpretations of IUDs in southwestern Nigeria
by Renne, Elisha P.
- 1149-1160 Interpreting silence, documenting experience: An anthropological approach to the study of health service users' experience with HIV/AIDS care in Lothian, Scotland
by Huby, Guro
- 1161-1168 Socio-economic differences in general practitioner and outpatient specialist care in the Netherlands: A matter of health insurance?
by Bongers, Inge M. B. & Van Der Meer, Joost B. W. & Van Den Bos, Johannes & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 1169-1180 Wife-beating in rural South India: A qualitative and econometric analysis
by Rao, Vijayendra
- 1181-1193 Male and female circumcision in Africa from a regional to a specific Nigerian examination
by Caldwell, John C. & Orubuloye, I. O. & Caldwell, Pat
- 1195-1207 Perceived male sexual needs and male sexual behaviour in southwest Nigeria
by Orubuloye, I. O. & Caldwell, John C. & Caldwell, Pat
- 1209-1210 Interdisciplinary health research--A symposium
by Sachs, Lisbeth & Krantz, Ingela
- 1211-1220 The difficulties of compiling a glossary of diseases associated with sexual intercourse in Chiawa, Rural Zambia
by Bond, Virginia & Ndubani, Phillimon
- 1221-1228 Practice-knowledge-attitudes-practice: An explorative study of information in primary care
by Diwan, Vinod K. & Sachs, Lisbeth & Wahlström, Rolf
- 1229-1238 North-South health research collaboration: Challenges in institutional interaction
by Maina-Ahlberg, Beth & Nordberg, Erik & Tomson, Göran
- 1239-1243 Partner notification in context: Swedish and Zambian experiences
by Faxelid, Elisabeth A. & Ramstedt, Kristina M.
- 1245-1254 Lessons for life--Past and present modes of sexuality education in Tanzanian society
by Fuglesang, Minou
- v-vii Valedictory editorial
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
1997, Volume 44, Issue 7
- 911-924 Isihlambezo: Utilization patterns and potential health effects of pregnancy-related traditional herbal medicine
by Varga, C. A. & Veale, D. J. H.
- 925-934 Duration of general practice consultations: Association with patient occupational and educational status
by Wiggers, John H. & Sanson-Fisher, Rob
- 935-947 The hierarchical diffusion of AIDS and violent crime among U.S. metropolitan regions: Inner-city decay, stochastic resonance and reversal of the mortality transition
by Wallace, Rodrick & Huang, Yi-Shan & Gould, Peter & Wallace, Deborah
- 949-968 Spatial patterns of human water contact and Schistosoma mansoni transmission and infection in four rural areas in Machakos District, Kenya
by Kloos, H. & Fulford, A. J. C. & Butterworth, A. E. & Sturrock, R. F. & Ouma, J. H. & Kariuki, H. C. & Thiongo, F. W. & Dalton, P. R. & Klumpp, R. K.