Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57| 58
1999, Volume 48, Issue 4
1999, Volume 48, Issue 3
- 283-292 Gender, sexuality, and the prevention of sexually transmissible diseases: a Brazilian study of clinical practice
by Giffin, Karen & Lowndes, Catherine M.
- 293-300 The social impact of HIV testing: a comparative analysis of Britain and Sweden
by Danziger, Renée
- 301-312 Birth intervals, breastfeeding and determinants of childhood mortality in Malawi
by Manda, Samuel O. M.
- 313-320 Postpartum health in a Dhaka slum
by Uzma, Amatul & Underwood, Peter & Atkinson, David & Thackrah, Rose
- 321-329 Accidents to preschool children: comparing family and neighbourhood risk factors
by Reading, Richard & Langford, Ian H. & Haynes, Robin & Lovett, Andrew
- 331-341 Costs of formal care for frail older people in England:: the resource implications study of the MRC cognitive function and ageing study (RIS MRC CFAS)
by McNamee, Paul & Gregson, Barbara A. & Buck, Debbie & Bamford, Claire H. & Bond, John & Wright, Ken
- 343-351 The medical profession and alternative medicine in the Netherlands: its history and recent developments
by Schepers, R. M. J. & Hermans, H. E. G. M.
- 353-361 Procedures and the professional: the case of the British NHS
by Lawton, Rebecca & Parker, Dianne
- 363-374 Complaints against nurses: a reflection of 'the new managerialism' and consumerism in health care?
by Beardwood, Barbara & Walters, Vivienne & Eyles, John & French, Susan
- 375-391 Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA
by Miller, Vincent P. & Ernst, Carla & Collin, François
- 393-405 Medicine, economics and agenda-setting
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Considine, Mark
- 407-420 Dentistry and medical dominance
by Adams, Tracey
1999, Volume 48, Issue 2
- 139-148 An evaluation of the informed consent procedure used during a trial of a Haemophilus influenzae type B conjugate vaccine undertaken in The Gambia, West Africa
by Leach, A. & Hilton, S. & Greenwood, B. M. & Manneh, E. & Dibba, B. & Wilkins, A. & Mulholland, E. K.
- 149-162 Women's strategies to alleviate nutritional stress in a rural African society
by Bentley, Gillian R. & Aunger, Robert & Harrigan, Alisa M. & Jenike, Mark & Bailey, Robert C. & Ellison, Peter T.
- 163-172 Ngaka ya setswana, ngaka ya sekgoa or both? Health seeking behaviour in Batswana with pulmonary tuberculosis
by Steen, T. W. & Mazonde, G. N.
- 173-184 Ethnicity, alcohol, and acculturation
by Gutmann, M. C.
- 185-196 Holocaust survivors' perspectives on the euthanasia debate
by Leichtentritt, Ronit D. & Rettig, Kathryn D. & Miles, Steven H.
- 197-212 Risk adjustment and hospital cost-based resource allocation, with an application to El Salvador
by Fiedler, John L. & Wight, Jonathan B. & Schmidt, Robert M.
- 213-225 Obstacles on the path to a primary-care led National Health Service: complexities of outpatient care
by Somerset, Maggie & Faulkner, Alex & Shaw, Alison & Dunn, Liz & Sharp, Deborah J.
- 227-239 Health promotion versus disease and care: failure to establish "blissful clarity" in British nurse education and practice
by Smith, P. & Masterson, A. & Smith, S. Lloyd
- 241-251 Re-forming medical delivery systems: economic organization and dynamics of regional planning and managed competition
by Perkins, Barbara Bridgman
- 253-265 No fathers' names: a risk factor for infant mortality in the State of Georgia, USA
by Gaudino, James A. & Jenkins, Bill & Rochat, Roger W.
- 267-276 Age-related preferences and age weighting health benefits
by Tsuchiya, Aki
1999, Volume 48, Issue 1
- 1-5 Relocating gender and morbidity: examining men's and women's health in contemporary Western societies. Introduction to Special Issue on Gender and Health
by Hunt, Kate & Annandale, Ellen
- 7-19 Gender differences in illhealth in Finland: patterns, magnitude and change
by Lahelma, Eero & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Silventoinen, Karri
- 21-32 Women's status and the health of women and men: a view from the States
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Gupta, Vanita & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah
- 33-48 Problematizing gender, work and health: the relationship between gender, occupational grade, working conditions and minor morbidity in full-time bank employees
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate & Macintyre, Sally
- 49-60 Social inequalities in health: are there gender differences?
by Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly & Power, Chris
- 61-76 Gender differences in health in later life: the new paradox?
by Arber, Sara & Cooper, Helen
- 77-87 Gender, social relations and mental health: prospective findings from an occupational cohort (Whitehall II study)
by Fuhrer, R. & Stansfeld, S. A. & Chemali, J. & Shipley, M. J.
- 89-98 Do women 'over-report' morbidity? Men's and women's responses to structured prompting on a standard question on long standing illness
by Macintyre, Sally & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate
- 99-115 Social position, social roles and women's health in England: changing relationships 1984-1993
by Bartley, M. & Sacker, A. & Firth, D. & Fitzpatrick, R.
- 117-127 Making use of official statistics in research on gender and health status: recent British data
by Dunnell, Karen & Fitzpatrick, Justine & Bunting, Julia
1998, Volume 47, Issue 12
- 1905-1924 Review of nursing turnover research, 1977-1996
by Tai, Teresa Wai Chi & Bame, Sherry I. & Robinson, Chester D.
- 1925-1936 Outcomes and effectiveness in reproductive health
by Graham, Wendy J.
- 1937-1946 Compulsory medical service in Ecuador: the physician's perspective
by Cavender, Anthony & Albán, Manuel
- 1947-1956 When acculturation hurts: the case of immunization
by Prislin, Radmila & Suarez, Lucina & Simspon, Diane M. & Dyer, James A.
- 1957-1971 Trends in health services utilization in eight provinces in China, 1989-1993
by Henderson, G. E. & Akin, J. S. & Hutchinson, P. M. & Jin, S. G. & Wang, J. M. & Dietrich, J. & Mao, L. M.
- 1973-1980 The development of a dementia process within the family context: the case of Alice
by Vernooij-Dassen, Myrra & Wester, Fred & Auf den Kamp, Marcel & Huygen, Frans
- 1981-1992 Sexual networks: the integration of social and genetic data
by Day, S. & Ward, H. & Ison, C. & Bell, G. & Weber, J.
- 1993-2011 In the company of friends: Peer influence on Thai male extramarital sex
by Vanlandingham, Mark & Knodel, John & Saengtienchai, Chanpen & Pramualratana, Anthony
- 2013-2023 The meaning of playing-related musculoskeletal disorders to classical musicians
by Zaza, Christine & Charles, Cathy & Muszynski, Alicja
- 2025-2042 Diagnosing moral disorder: the discovery and evolution of fetal alcohol syndrome
by Armstrong, Elizabeth M.
- 2043-2053 Social class, assets, organizational control and the prevalence of common groups of psychiatric disorders
by Muntaner, C. & Eaton, W. W. & Diala, C. & Kessler, R. C. & Sorlie, P. D.
- 2055-2066 Mortality variations in England and Wales between types of place: an analysis of the ONS longitudinal study
by Ecob, Russell & Jones, Kelvyn
- 2067-2074 Linking measures of health gain to explicit priority setting by an Area Health Service in Australia
by Cromwell, David A. & Viney, Rosalie & Halsall, John & Hindle, Don
- 2075-2085 Beliefs related to breast health practices: the perceptions of South Asian women living in Canada
by Bottorff, Joan L. & Johnson, Joy L. & Bhagat, Radhika & Grewal, Sukhdev & Balneaves, Lynda G. & Clarke, Heather & Hilton, B. Ann
- 2087-2099 Health and access to care: Perspectives of homeless youth in Baltimore City, U.S.A
by Ensign, Jo & Gittelsohn, Joel
- 2101-2111 Careseeking for illness in young infants in an urban slum in India
by de Zoysa, Isabelle & Bhandari, Nita & Akhtari, Naseema & Bhan, Maharaj K.
- 2113-2125 Stories of meaning: lay perspectives on the origin and management of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus among older women in the United States
by Schoenberg, Nancy E. & Amey, Cheryl H. & Coward, Raymond T.
- 2127-2137 Radio and the commodification of natural medicine in Ecuador
by Miles, Ann
1998, Volume 47, Issue 11
- 1639-1651 Screening and counselling for sickle cell disorders and thalassaemia: The experience of parents and health professionals
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U. & Anionwu, Elizabeth N.
- 1653-1658 Revealed identity: a study of the process of genetic counselling
by Armstrong, David & Michie, Susan & Marteau, Theresa
- 1659-1663 Effect of social class on tumour size at diagnosis and surgical treatment in Danish women with breast cancer
by Norredam, Marie & Groenvold, Mogens & Petersen, Jorgen Holm & Krasnik, Allan
- 1665-1676 Educational differences in leisure-time physical inactivity: a descriptive and explanatory study
by Droomers, M. & Schrijvers, C. T. M. & van de Mheen, H. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 1677-1686 Suicide in urban New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994: socio-economic and migrant interactions
by Taylor, Richard & Morrell, Stephen & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 1687-1694 Hearts and minds: suicide among United States combat troops in Vietnam, 1957-1973
by Adams, David P. & Barton, Cole & Mitchell, G. Lynn & Moore, Alan L. & Einagel, Victor
- 1695-1698 Increasing homicide rate in Finland accompanied by decreasing seasonality over the period 1957-95
by Hakko, Helinä & Räsänen, Pirkko & Tiihonen, Jari
- 1699-1713 Political repression and its psychological effects on Honduran children
by Munczek, Débora S. & Tuber, Steven
- 1715-1727 Using metaphor to read the organisation of the NHS
by Elkind, Andrea
- 1729-1738 Achieving clinical behaviour change: a case of becoming indeterminate
by Wood, Martin & Ferlie, Ewan & Fitzgerald, Louise
- 1739-1748 The evolution of professional identity: the case of osteopathic medicine
by Miller, Katherine
- 1749-1762 Promoting health, promoting women: the construction of female and professional identities in the discourse of community health workers
by Ramirez-Valles, Jesus
- 1763-1772 Psychosocial stressors and well-being in health care workers. The impact of an intervention program
by Petterson, Inga-Lill & Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 1773-1780 Gender differences in accessing cardiac surgery across England: a cross-sectional analysis of the Health Survey for England
by Dong, Wei & Ben-Shlomo, Yoav & Colhoun, Helen & Chaturvedi, Nish
- 1781-1795 Why do nurses abuse patients? Reflections from South African obstetric services
by Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah & Mvo, Zodumo
- 1797-1808 Describing the "white" ethnic group and its composition in medical research
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 1809-1824 Putting risk in its place: methodological considerations for investigating extreme event health risk
by Smoyer, Karen E.
- 1825-1840 Informed consent for clinical trials: in search of the "best" method
by Edwards, Sarah J. L. & Lilford, Richard J. & Thornton, Jim & Hewison, Jenny
- 1841-1854 Infant mortality: A multi-level analysis of individual and community risk factors
by Matteson, Donald W. & Burr, Jeffrey A. & Marshall, James R.
- 1855-1858 Age patterns of smoking initiation among Kuwait University male students
by Sugathan, T. N. & Moody, Philip M. & Bustan, Mahmood A. & Elgerges, Najwa S.
- 1859-1871 Medicinal plants in Mexico: healers' consensus and cultural importance
by Heinrich, Michael & Ankli, Anita & Frei, Barbara & Weimann, Claudia & Sticher, Otto
- 1873-1876 Physician assessments of patient compliance with medical treatment
by Goldberg, Albert I. & Cohen, Gilat & Rubin, Ami-Hai E.
- 1877-1880 Dental students' attitude to gender roles
by Rosenberg, Howard M. & Cucchiara, Andrew J. & Helpin, Mark L.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 10
- 1399-1405 Explanations of social class differences in alcoholism among young men
by Hemmingsson, Tomas & Lundberg, Ingvar & Diderichsen, Finn & Allebeck, Peter
- 1407-1418 Health related behavioural change in context: young people in transition
by Pavis, Stephen & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Amos, Amanda
- 1419-1430 Critical reflections on the politics of need: implications for public health
by Robertson, Ann
- 1431-1443 Sexual behaviour and risk assessment of HIV seroconvertors among urban male factory workers in Zimbabwe
by Ray, Sunanda & Latif, Ahmed & Machekano, Roderick & Katzenstein, David
- 1445-1453 The learning curve: Health education in STI clinics in South Africa
by Reddy, Priscilla & Meyer-Weitz, Anna & van den Borne, Bart & Kok, Gerjo & Weijts, Wies
- 1455-1462 Injections and self-help: risk and trust in Ugandan health care
by Birungi, Harriet
- 1463-1472 Perception of the social support role of the extended family network by some Nigerians with schizophrenia and affective disorders
by Ohaeri, Jude U.
- 1473-1484 Family responses to HIV/AIDS in Mexico
by Castro, Roberto & Orozco, Emanuel & Aggleton, Peter & Eroza, Enrique & Hernández, Juan Jacobo
- 1485-1494 Liminality: a major category of the experience of cancer illness
by Little, Miles & Jordens, Christopher FC & Paul, Kim & Montgomery, Kathleen & Philipson, Bertil
- 1495-1501 The holistic health movement in the San Francisco Bay Area: Some preliminary observations
by Baer, Hans A. & Hays, John & McClendon, Nicole & McGoldrick, Neil & Vespucci, Raffella
- 1503-1512 Stress and low birth weight: A structural modeling approach using real life stressors
by Sheehan, T. Joseph
- 1513-1527 Analyzing the decentralization of health systems in developing countries: decision space, innovation and performance
by Bossert, Thomas
- 1529-1538 Towards equity in health in an unequal society
by Bloom, Gerald & McIntyre, Diane
- 1539-1545 From practice to research: The case for criticism in an age of evidence
by Berkwits, Michael
- 1547-1554 Risk and the general practitioner budget holder
by Martin, Stephen & Rice, Nigel & Smith, Peter C.
- 1555-1564 The ethics of resource allocation: the views of general practitioners in Lincolnshire, U.K
by Baines, Darrin L. & Tolley, Keith H. & Whynes, David K.
- 1565-1572 A holistic approach to the economic evaluation of health programs using institutionalist methodology
by Jan, Stephen
- 1573-1588 A systematic review of the literature on patient priorities for general practice care. Part 1: Description of the research domain
by Wensing, Michel & Jung, Hans Peter & Mainz, Jan & Olesen, Frede & Grol, Richard
- 1589-1599 The effects of political and economic transitions on health and safety in Estonia: An Estonian-Swedish comparative study
by Kaasik, Taie & Andersson, Ragnar & Hörte, Lars-Gunnar
- 1601-1609 A revised measure of symptom-specific health care use
by Baker, David W. & Shapiro, Martin F. & Schur, Claudia L. & Freeman, Howard
- 1611-1617 The correspondence of patient satisfaction and nurse burnout
by Leiter, Michael P. & Harvie, Phyllis & Frizzell, Cindy
- 1619-1625 Ethics of resource allocation in developing countries: The case of Sri Lanka
by Jayasinghe, K. S. A. & De Silva, D. & Mendis, N. & Lie, R. K.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 9
- 1135-1145 Assignments of meaning in epidemiology
by Little, Miles
- 1147-1153 "Death by proxy": Ethics and classification in epidemiology
by Plant, Aileen J. & Rushworth, R. Louise
- 1155-1159 Is imposing risk awareness cultural imperialism?
by FØrde, Olav Helge
- 1161-1169 The ethics of attribution: The case of health care outcome indicators
by Russell, Elizabeth
- 1171-1180 "Communitarian claims" as an ethical basis for allocating health care resources
by Mooney, Gavin
- 1181-1188 Social capital and health: Implications for public health and epidemiology
by Lomas, Jonathan
- 1189-1195 Ethics, epidemiology and the thrifty gene: biological determinism as a health hazard
by McDermott, Robyn
- 1197-1208 A tale of two (low prevalence) cities: social movement organisations and the local policy response to HIV/AIDS
by Petchey, Roland & Williams, Jacky & Farnsworth, Bill & Starkey, Ken
- 1209-1222 Inequalities in the transition of ischaemic heart disease mortality in New South Wales, Australia, 1969-1994
by Burnley, I. H.
- 1223-1230 Towards quality of care in child health programmes: a challenge for the partnership in health and social sciences
by Kanani, Shubhada
- 1231-1246 Childhood conditions that predict survival to advanced ages among African-Americans
by Preston, Samuel H. & Hill, Mark E. & Drevenstedt, Greg L.
- 1247-1261 Higher earnings, bursting trains and exhausted bodies: the creation of travelling psychosis in post-reform China
by Lee, Sing
- 1263-1266 Mexican use of lead in the treatment of empacho: Community, clinic, and longitudinal patterns
by Baer, Roberta D. & Garcia De Alba, Javier & Mares Leal, Rosa & Plascencia Campos, Ana Rosa & Goslin, Neill
- 1267-1276 Doctor talk and diabetes: towards an analysis of the clinical construction of chronic illness
by Loewe, Ronald & Schwartzman, John & Freeman, Joshua & Quinn, Laurie & Zuckerman, Steve
- 1277-1288 Social class and health: The puzzling counter-example of British South Asians
by Williams, Rory & Wright, William & Hunt, Kate
- 1289-1294 Cancer truth disclosure by Lebanese doctors
by Hamadeh, Ghassan N. & Adib, Salim M.
- 1295-1306 Probabilities and health risks: a qualitative approach
by Heyman, Bob & Henriksen, Mette & Maughan, Karen
- 1307-1312 The sick building syndrome: a diagnostic dilemma
by Thörn, Åke
- 1313-1323 The meaning and management of neuroleptic medication: a study of patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia
by Rogers, Anne & Day, Jennifer C. & Williams, Brian & Randall, Fiona & Wood, Pamela & Healy, David & Bentall, Richard P.
- 1325-1329 Accidents, assaults, and marital status
by Cheung, Yin-Bun
- 1331-1339 Class differences in the food rules mothers impose on their children: a cross-national study
by Hupkens, Christianne L. H. & Knibbe, Ronald A. & van Otterloo, Anneke H. & Drop, Maria J.
- 1341-1349 From reviving the living to raising the dead; the making of cardiac resuscitation
by Bains, Jatinder
- 1351-1359 The meaning of patient satisfaction: An explanation of high reported levels
by Williams, Brian & Coyle, Joanne & Healy, David
- 1361-1371 Spousal caregivers' activity restriction and depression: A model for changes over time
by Nieboer, A. P. & Schulz, R. & Matthews, K. A. & Scheier, M. F. & Ormel, J. & Lindenberg, S. M.
- 1373-1381 The fake patient: A research experiment in a Ghanaian hospital
by van der Geest, Sjaak & Sarkodie, Samuel
- 1383-1387 Becoming a doctor -- Was it the wrong career choice?
by Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko & Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Mattila, Kari & Virjo, Irma & Kujala, Santero & Luhtala, Riitta & Halila, Hannu & Isokoski, Mauri
1998, Volume 47, Issue 8
- 993-1004 Hungry earth and vengeful stars: soul loss and identity in the Peruvian Andes
by Greenway, Christine
- 1005-1015 Environment, vulnerability, and gender in Andean ethnomedicine
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1017-1030 Assessing variation in health status in the Andes: a biocultural model
by Oths, Kathryn S.
- 1031-1041 Changing biocultural perspectives on health in the Andes
by Leatherman, Thomas
- 1043-1049 Medical, law, and business students' perceptions of the changing health care system
by Wilkes, Michael & Coulter, Ian & Hurwitz, Eric
- 1051-1066 A novel method for studying population health impacts of spatiotemporal ozone distribution
by Christakos, George & Vyas, Vikram M.
- 1067-1076 A ship upon a stormy sea: The medicalization of pregnancy
by Barker, K. K.
- 1077-1087 Which aspects of general practitioners' behaviour determine patients' evaluations of care?
by Jung, H. P. & Van Horne, F. & Wensing, M. & Hearnshaw, H. & Grol, R.
- 1089-1099 Buying safety: The economics of reproductive risk and abortion in Egypt
by Lane, Sandra D. & Madut Jok, Jok & El-Mouelhy, Mawaheb T.
- 1101-1111 Women's health care work in comparative perspective: Canada, Sweden and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic as case examples
by Benoit, Cecilia & Heitlinger, Alena
- 1113-1120 The relationship of community quality to the health of women and men
by Molinari, Carol & Ahern, Melissa & Hendryx, Michael
- 1121-1130 Social mobility and 21Â year mortality in a cohort of Scottish men
by Hart, Carole L. & Davey Smith, George & Blane, David
1998, Volume 47, Issue 7
- 841-852 Stigma associated with onchocercal skin disease among those affected near the Ofiki and Oyan rivers in Western Nigeria
by Brieger, William R. & Oshiname, Frederick O. & Ososanya, Oladele O.
- 853-863 A conceptual model of the food and nutrition system
by Sobal, Jeffery & Kettel Khan, Laura & Bisogni, Carole
- 865-875 Reframing the meaning of disability to families: the embrace of paradox
by Larson, Elizabeth
- 877-889 R. D. Laing and the British anti-psychiatry movement: a socio-historical analysis
by Crossley, Nick
- 891-898 The use of equipoise in clinical trials
by Chard, J. A. & Lilford, R. J.
- 899-909 Uptake of contraception during postpartum amenorrhoea: Understandings and preferences of poor, urban women in Bangladesh
by Salway, Sarah & Nurani, Sufia
- 911-926 Risk, motives, and styles of utilization review: A cross-condition comparison
by Wolff, Nancy & Schlesinger, Mark
- 927-939 A survey of the Hong Kong health sector: Past, present and future
by Gauld, Robin D. C.
- 941-947 "Why don't they come to Pike street and ask us"?: Black American women's health concerns
by Freedman, Tovia G.
- 949-959 Family planning policies and programmes in eight low-income countries: A comparative policy analysis
by Lee, Kelley & Lush, Louisiana & Walt, Gill & Cleland, John
- 961-971 Resident characteristics and organizational factors influencing the quality of drug use in Swedish nursing homes
by Schmidt, Ingrid & Claesson, Cecilia B. & Westerholm, Barbro & Svarstad, Bonnie L.
- 973-981 Living in a housing co-operative for low income women: Issues of identity, environment and control
by Wasylishyn, Christine & Johnson, Joy L.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 6
- 697-712 Cognitive assessment and health education in children from two different cultures
by Sivaramakrishnan, Malathi & Arocha, José F. & Patel, Vimla L.
- 713-725 The natural life of policy indices: geographical problem areas in the U.S. and U.K
by Taylor, Donald H.
- 727-737 Determinants of dental care use in dentate adults: Six-monthly use during a 24-month period in the Florida dental care study
by Gilbert, Gregg H. & Duncan, R. Paul & Vogel, W. Bruce
- 739-753 A conceptual model of independence and dependence for adults with chronic physical illness and disability
by Gignac, Monique A. M. & Cott, Cheryl
- 755-764 Asthma and domestic air quality
by Jones, A. P.
- 765-777 Social network characteristics as mediators in the relationship between sexual abuse and HIV risk
by Miller, Maureen & Paone, Denise
- 779-794 Pharmacies, self-medication and pharmaceutical marketing in Bombay, India
by Kamat, Vinay R. & Nichter, Mark
- 795-808 Third World medicine in First World cities: capital accumulation, uneven development and public health
by Whiteis, David G.
- 809-819 The occupational integration of former Soviet physicians in Israel
by Bernstein, Judith H. & Shuval, Judith T.
- 821-830 Personal constitution and health status among Chinese elderly in Taipei and Los Angeles
by Lew-Ting, Chih-yin & Hurwicz, Margo-Lea & Berkanovic, Emil
- 831-840 Racial differences in functional status among elderly U.S. migrants from the south
by Kington, Raynard & Carlisle, David & McCaffrey, Dan & Myers, Hector & Allen, Walter
1998, Volume 47, Issue 5
- 555-564 Negotiating reproduction and gender during the fertility decline in Turkey
by Angin, Zeynep & Shorter, Frederic C.
- 565-579 Place of death and access to home care services: are certain patient groups at a disadvantage?
by Grande, G. E. & Addington-Hall, J. M. & Todd, C. J.
- 581-593 Well-being of haemophilia patients: a model for direct and indirect effects of medical parameters on the physical and psychosocial functioning
by Triemstra, A. H. M. & Van der Ploeg, H. M. & Smit, C. & Briët, E. & Adèr, H. J. & Rosendaal, F. R.
- 595-601 Patients' reactions to attempts to increase passive or active coping with surgery
by Peerbhoy, Denise & Hall, George M. & Parker, Christopher & Shenkin, Alan & Salmon, Peter
- 603-611 Direct and indirect effects of chronic physical conditions on depression: A preliminary investigation
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar
- 613-620 Disparity of medical care utilization among different health insurance schemes in Taiwan
by Cheng, Shou-Hsia & Chiang, Tung-Liang
- 621-634 Distinguishing between chronic and nonchronic fatigue, the role of gender and age
by Van Mens-Verhulst, Janneke & Bensing, Jozien
- 635-643 Social relations and mortality. An eleven year follow-up study of 70-year-old men and women in Denmark
by Avlund, Kirsten & Damsgaard, Mogens Trab & Holstein, BjØrn E.
- 645-656 Recognizing the reversible nature of child-feeding decisions: Breastfeeding, weaning, and relactation patterns in a shanty town community of Lima, Peru
by Marquis, Grace S. & Díaz, Judith & Bartolini, Rosario & Creed de Kanashiro, Hilary & Rasmussen, Kathleen M.
- 657-664 Smoking and smoking cessation among men whose partners are pregnant: a qualitative study
by Wakefield, Melanie & Reid, Yolande & Roberts, Lyn & Mullins, Robyn & Gillies, Pamela
- 665-675 Factors related to physical activity: a study of adolescents
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar & Thorlindsson, Thorolfur
- 677-691 Service use by family caregivers in Japan
by Yamamoto, Noriko & Wallhagen, Margaret I.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 4
- 419-428 Development of mental health services in Tanzania: A reappraisal for the future
by Kilonzo, G. P. & Simmons, N.
- 429-443 Mortality decline in The Netherlands in the period 1850-1992: A turning point analysis
by Wolleswinkel-van den Bosch, Judith H. & van Poppel, Frans W. A. & Tabeau, Ewa & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 445-453 General practice in urban and rural Europe: The range of curative services
by Boerma, Wienke G. W. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Van der Zee, Jouke
- 455-468 Female physicians in Mexico: Migration and mobility in the lifecourse
by Harrison, Margaret E.
- 469-476 Residential segregation and mortality in New York City
by Fang, Jing & Madhavan, Shantha & Bosworth, William & Alderman, Michael H.
- 477-486 Child feeding and care behaviors are associated with xerophthalmia in rural Nepalese households
by Gittelsohn, Joel & Shankar, Anita V. & West, Keith P. & Faruque, Faisal & Gnywali, Tara & Pradhan, Elizabeth K.
- 487-496 General practitioners' attributions of fatigue
by De Rijk, Angelique E. & Schreurs, Karlein M. G. & Bensing, Jozien M.
- 497-506 Practice nurses and the effects of the new general practitioner contract in the British NHS: The advent of a professional project?
by Broadbent, Jane
- 507-517 Managerialism and active citizenship in Britain's reformed health service: power and community in an era of decentralisation
by Milewa, Timothy & Valentine, Justin & Calnan, Michael
- 519-523 Doctors' attitudes to acupuncture -- a Norwegian study
by Norheim, Arne Johan & FØnnebØ, Vinjar
- 525-533 Social inequality in coronary heart disease: a comparison of occupational classifications
by Chandola, Tarani
- 535-545 Paradigms of retirement: the importance of health and ageing in the whitehall ii study
by Mein, G. & Higgs, P. & Ferrie, J. & Stansfeld, S. A.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 3
- 287-301 A review of relationships between active living and determinants of health
by Frankish, C. James & Milligan, C. Dawne & Reid, Colleen
- 303-315 Socioeconomic inequalities in health expectancy in Finland and Norway in the late 1980s
by Sihvonen, Ari-Pekka & Kunst, Anton E. & Lahelma, Eero & Valkonen, Tapani & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 317-327 The health and welfare effects of day-care: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials
by Zoritch, B. & Roberts, I. & Oakley, A.
- 329-339 Patient participation in decision-making
by Guadagnoli, Edward & Ward, Patricia
- 341-346 Physicians' prescribing behaviour for diarrhoea in children: An ethnoepidemiological study in southern Brazil
by Béria, Jorge U. & Damiani, Magda F. & dos Santos, Iná S. & Lombardi, Cintia
- 347-354 The physician-patient encounter: The physician as a perfect agent for the patient versus the informed treatment decision-making model
by Gafni, Amiram & Charles, Cathy & Whelan, Tim
- 357-369 Educational level and adult mortality in Russia: An analysis of routine data 1979 to 1994
by Shkolnikov, Vladimir M. & Leon, David A. & Adamets, Sergey & Eugeniy Andreev & Deev, Alexander
- 371-379 Attitudes towards helminthic infection in the Jirel population of eastern Nepal
by Williams-Blangero, S. & Subedi, J. & Upadhayay, R. P. & Manral, D. B. & Khadka, K. & Jirel, S. & Robinson, E. S. & Blangero, J.
- 381-394 What does quality mean to lay people? Community perceptions of primary health care services in Guinea
by Haddad, Slim & Fournier, Pierre & Machouf, Nimâ & Yatara, Fassinet
- 395-403 "Alone, I wouldn't have known what to do":A qualitative study on social supportduring labor and delivery in Mexico
by Campero, Lourdes & García, Cecilia & Díaz, Carmen & Ortiz, Olivia & Reynoso, Sofía & Langer, Ana
- 405-410 Guinea worm disease - a chance for successful eradication in the Volta region, Ghana
by Diamenu, Stanley K. & Nyaku, Albertha A.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 2
- 153-164 Pharmacy's attempts to extend its roles: A case study in South Africa
by Gilbert, Leah
- 165-179 Patterns of visits to hospital-based emergency rooms
by Béland, François & Lemay, Anne & Boucher, Marcel
- 181-193 Women in general practice: Responding to the sexual division of labour?
by Brooks, Fiona
- 195-202 The meanings of tuberculosis for Mexican migrant farmworkers in the United States
by Poss, Jane E.
- 203-211 Cost-effectiveness of strategies to market and train primary health care physicians in brief intervention techniques for hazardous alcohol use
by Gomel, Michelle K. & Wutzke, Sonia E. & Hardcastle, Deborah M. & Lapsley, Helen & Reznik, Robert B.
- 213-222 Valuing temporary and chronic health states associated with breast screening
by Johnston, Katharine & Brown, Jackie & Gerard, Karen & O'Hanlon, Moira & Morton, Alison
- 223-232 Mandatory pooling as a supplement to risk-adjusted capitation payments in a competitive health insurance market
by van Barneveld, Erik M. & Lamers, Leida M. & van Vliet, René C. J. A. & van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M.
- 233-242 "He forced me to love him": putting violence on adolescent sexual health agendas
by Wood, Katharine & Maforah, Fidelia & Jewkes, Rachel