Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57
1999, Volume 49, Issue 10
- 1409-1417 Emergency contraception: an anomalous position in the family planning repertoire?
by Ziebland, Sue
- 1419-1423 Increasing rates of suicide in young men in England during the 1980s: the importance of social context
by Crawford, M. J. & Prince, M.
1999, Volume 49, Issue 9
- 1139-1155 "Not just a statistic": the history of USA and UK policy over thrombotic disease and the oral contraceptive pill, 1960s-1970s
by Marks, Lara
- 1157-1167 'We shall not find salvation in inoculation': BCG vaccination in Scandinavia, Britain and the USA, 1921-1960
by Bryder, Linda
- 1169-1182 The cost of living: kidney dialysis, rationing and health economics in Britain, 1965-1996
by Stanton, Jennifer
- 1183-1195 Passive smoking and its pre-history in Britain: policy speaks to science?
by Berridge, Virginia
- 1197-1213 Public health policy paradoxes: science and politics in the Rockefeller Foundation's hookworm campaign in Mexico in the 1920s
by Birn, Anne-Emanuelle & Solórzano, Armando
- 1215-1225 Cancer chemotherapy, biodiversity, public and private property: the case of the anti-cancer drug Taxol
by Walsh, Vivien & Goodman, Jordan
- 1227-1238 From what and why did genetics emerge as a medical specialism in the 1970s in the UK? A case-history of research, policy and services in the Manchester region of the NHS
by Coventry, Peter A. & Pickstone, John V.
- 1239-1255 Risk, science and policy: definitional struggles, information management, the media and BSE
by Miller, David
- 1257-1268 Histories of cochlear implantation
by Blume, Stuart S.
- 1269-1283 Scientific uncertainty and the role of expert advice: the case of health checks for coronary heart disease prevention by general practitioners in the UK
by Florin, Dominique
1999, Volume 49, Issue 8
- 993-1005 Determinants of the Permethrin Impregnated Bednets (PIB) in the Republic of Benin: the role of women in the acquisition and utilization of PIBs
by Rashed, S. & Johnson, H. & Dongier, P. & Moreau, R. & Lee, C. & Crépeau, R. & Lambert, J. & Jefremovas, V. & Schaffer, C.
- 1007-1019 The use of research in local health service agencies
by Anderson, Malcolm & Cosby, Jarold & Swan, Bill & Moore, Heather & Broekhoven, Mike
- 1021-1034 Closing rural hospitals in Saskatchewan: on the road to wellness?
by James, Amanda M.
- 1035-1050 Community development through partnership: promoting health in an urban indigenous community in New Zealand
by Voyle, J. A. & Simmons, D.
- 1051-1059 The roles of social class of origin, achieved social class and intergenerational social mobility in explaining social-class inequalities in alcoholism among young men
by Hemmingsson, Tomas & Lundberg, Ingvar & Diderichsen, Finn
- 1061-1074 Gender differences in physical symptoms and illness behavior: A health diary study
by Gijsbers van Wijk, Cecile M. T. & Huisman, Henk & Kolk, Annemarie M.
- 1075-1084 Things ain't what they ought to be: social forces underlying racial disparities in rates of sexually transmitted diseases in a rural North Carolina county
by Thomas, James C. & Thomas, Karen K.
- 1085-1100 Infant feeding practices of low-income, African-American, adolescent mothers: an ecological, multigenerational perspective
by Bentley, Margaret & Gavin, Lorrie & Black, Maureen M. & Teti, Laureen
- 1101-1114 Female commercial sex workers in Kramat Tunggak, Jakarta, Indonesia
by Sedyaningsih-Mamahit, Endang R.
- 1115-1123 Family experiences related to the decision to institutionalize an elderly member in Taiwan: an exploratory study
by Kao, Hsueh-Fen & Stuifbergen, Alexa K.
- 1125-1127 Knowledge, attitude and practice survey on immunization service delivery in Guangxi and Gansu, China
by Zhang, Xinglu & Wang, Lixia & Zhu, Xu & Wang, Kean
1999, Volume 49, Issue 7
- 849-865 Informal economic activities of public health workers in Uganda: implications for quality and accessibility of care
by McPake, Barbara & Asiimwe, Delius & Mwesigye, Francis & Ofumbi, Mathias & Ortenblad, Lisbeth & Streefland, Pieter & Turinde, Asaph
- 867-878 Do measures of self-reported morbidity bias the estimation of the determinants of health care utilisation?
by Sutton, Matthew & Carr-Hill, Roy & Gravelle, Hugh & Rice, Nigel
- 879-894 Does the work environment contribute to excess male mortality?
by Hemström, Örjan
- 895-903 How stable are people's preferences for giving priority to severely ill patients?
by Ubel, Peter A.
- 905-920 Policy analysis for end-stage renal disease in Jamaica
by Trisolini, M. & Ashley, D. & Harik, V. & Bicknell, W.
- 921-932 Immunization promotion activities: are they effective in encouraging mothers to immunize their children?
by Pérez-Cuevas, Ricardo & Reyes, Hortensia & Pego, Ulises & Tomé, Patricia & Ceja, Karla & Flores, Sergio & Gutiérrez, Gonzalo
- 933-941 Risk factors of pain in mammographic screening
by Bruyninckx, Eva & Mortelmans, Dimitri & Van Goethem, M. & Van Hove, E.
- 943-950 Inconsistent responses in three preference-elicitation methods for health states
by Badia, Xavier & Roset, Monserrat & Herdman, Michael
- 951-956 Problems Tamil asylum seekers encounter in accessing health and welfare services in Australia
by Silove, D. & Steel, Z. & McGorry, P. & Drobny, J.
- 957-965 Role conflict and rapid socio-economic change: breastfeeding among employed women in Thailand
by Yimyam, S. & Morrow, M. & Srisuphan, W.
- 967-979 Subjective life expectancy in the US: correspondence to actuarial estimates by age, sex and race
by Mirowsky, John
- 981-988 Mortality and migration in Britain, first results from the British Household Panel Survey
by Brimblecombe, Nic & Dorling, Danny & Shaw, Mary
1999, Volume 49, Issue 6
- 711-725 The impact of stroke on informal carers: a literature review
by Low, Joseph T. S. & Payne, Sheila & Roderick, Paul
- 727-736 'Total pain', disciplinary power and the body in the work of Cicely Saunders, 1958-1967
by Clark, David
- 737-749 Determinants of depression and HIV-related worry among HIV-positive women who have recently given birth, Bangkok, Thailand
by Bennetts, Anna & Shaffer, Nathan & Manopaiboon, Chomnad & Pattrawan Chaiyakul & Siriwasin, Wimol & Mock, Philip & Klumthanom, Kunyarat & Sorapipatana, Sumaleelak & Yuvasevee, Chanidapa & Jalanchavanapate, Sujira & Clark, Leslie
- 751-762 Socio-demographic and spatial aspects of male mortality from HIV-AIDS related diseases in New South Wales, Australia, 1990-1994
by Burnley, I. H.
- 763-779 The cost-effectiveness of introducing a varicella vaccine to the New Zealand immunisation schedule
by Scuffham, P. & Devlin, N. & Eberhart-Phillips, J. & Wilson-Salt, R.
- 781-789 Physical activity social support and middle- and older-aged minority women: results from a US survey
by Eyler, Amy A. & Brownson, Ross C. & Donatelle, Rebecca J. & King, Abby C. & Brown, David & Sallis, James F.
- 791-799 The effect on morbidity of variability in deprivation and population stability in England and Wales: an investigation at small-area level
by Boyle, Paul J. & Gatrell, Anthony C. & Duke-Williams, Oliver
- 801-814 Sexuality education in Russia: defining pleasure and danger for a fledgling democratic society
by Rivkin-Fish, Michele
- 815-822 Different tuberculosis in men and women: beliefs from focus groups in Vietnam
by Long, Nguyen Hoang & Johansson, Eva & Diwan, Vinod K. & Winkvist, Anna
- 823-830 What price information? Modelling threshold probabilities of fetal loss
by Cairns, John & Shackley, Phil
- 831-845 Understanding social variation in cardiovascular risk factors in women and men: the advantage of theoretically based measures
by Bartley, M. & Sacker, A. & Firth, D. & Fitzpatrick, R.
1999, Volume 49, Issue 5
- 567-580 Two good reasons: women's and men's perspectives on dual contraceptive use
by Woodsong, Cynthia & Koo, Helen P.
- 581-600 Policy and politics of smoking control in Japan
by Sato, Hajime
- 601-609 Knowledge, beliefs and practices relevant for malaria control in an endemic urban area of the Colombian Pacific
by Nieto, Tatiana & Méndez, Fabian & Carrasquilla, Gabriel
- 611-619 Health behaviour and the school environment in New South Wales, Australia
by McLellan, Lyndall & Rissel, Chris & Donnelly, Neil & Bauman, Adrian
- 621-636 Age differences in the effects of network composition on psychological distress
by Peek, M. Kristen & Lin, Nan
- 637-649 The quest of infertile women in squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan: a qualitative study
by Bhatti, Lubna Ishaq & Fikree, Fariyal F. & Khan, Amanullah
- 651-661 Decision-making in the physician-patient encounter: revisiting the shared treatment decision-making model
by Charles, Cathy & Gafni, Amiram & Whelan, Tim
- 663-678 Evaluating health service equity at a primary care clinic in Chilimarca, Bolivia
by Kinman, Edward L.
- 679-689 National health care 'by-passing' in Bangladesh: a comparative study
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 691-704 Revisiting medicalisation and 'natural' death
by Seymour, Jane Elizabeth
1999, Volume 49, Issue 4
- 437-447 When is a shared decision not (quite) a shared decision? Negotiating preferences in a general practice encounter
by Gwyn, Richard & Elwyn, Glyn
- 449-457 Patient assertiveness and physician decision-making among older breast cancer patients
by Krupat, Edward & Irish, Julie T. & Kasten, Linda E. & Freund, Karen M. & Burns, Risa B. & Moskowitz, Mark A. & McKinlay, John B.
- 459-467 Prescribing benzodiazepines--a critical incident study of a physician dilemma
by Bendtsen, Preben & Hensing, Gunnel & McKenzie, Lotta & Stridsman, Anna-Karin
- 469-482 Women's control and choice regarding HRT
by Griffiths, Frances
- 483-497 Disputed diagnoses: the cases of RSI and childhood cancer
by Arksey, Hilary & Sloper, Patricia
- 499-507 Determinants of socioeconomic differences in change in physical and mental functioning
by Martikainen, Pekka & Stansfeld, Stephen & Hemingway, Harry & Marmot, Michael
- 509-518 The influence of adult ill health on occupational class mobility and mobility out of and into employment in The Netherlands
by van de Mheen, H. & Stronks, K. & Schrijvers, C. T. M. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 519-530 Diarrheal disease risk in Matlab, Bangladesh
by Emch, Michael
- 531-541 Defecation practices of young children in a Peruvian shanty town
by Yeager, Beth A. C. & Huttly, Sharon R. A. & Bartolini, Rosario & Martha Rojas & Lanata, Claudio F.
- 543-550 Modernization of medical care in Korea (1876-1990)
by Son, Annette H. K.
- 551-563 Valuing the benefits of publicly-provided health care: does 'ability to pay' preclude the use of 'willingness to pay'?
by Donaldson, Cam
1999, Volume 49, Issue 3
- 297-302 Survival vs. quality of life: a study of the Israeli public priorities in medical care
by Shmueli, Amir
- 303-311 Stability of elderly persons' expressed preferences regarding the use of life-sustaining treatments
by Carmel, Sara & Mutran, Elizabeth J.
- 313-328 Attitudes towards informed consent, confidentiality, and substitute treatment decisions in southern African medical students: a case study from Zimbabwe
by Hipshman, Lawrence
- 329-342 Ethics education and physician morality
by Gross, Michael L.
- 343-358 Balancing effectiveness, side-effects and work: women's perceptions and experiences with modern contraceptive technology in Cambodia
by Sadana, Ritu & Snow, Rachel
- 359-369 'Because of the risks': how US pregnant women account for refusing prenatal screening
by Markens, Susan & Browner, C. H. & Press, Nancy
- 371-382 Obligatory medical insurance in Russia: the participants' perspective
by Twigg, Judyth L.
- 383-392 A case-control study of employment status and mortality in a cohort of Australian youth
by Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard & Quine, Susan & Kerr, Charles & Western, John
- 393-404 Encompassing treatment with prevention: the path for a lasting control of tuberculosis
by Jaramillo, Ernesto
- 405-424 Resource dependency, doctors and the state: quality control in Sweden
by Garpenby, Peter
- 425-433 Effects of distances to hospital and GP surgery on hospital inpatient episodes, controlling for needs and provision
by Haynes, Robin & Bentham, Graham & Lovett, Andrew & Gale, Susan
1999, Volume 49, Issue 2
- 155-171 Planning reproductive health in conflict: a conceptual framework
by Busza, Joanna & Lush, Louisiana
- 173-184 Lifeboat versus corporate ethic: social and demographic implications of stem and joint families
by Das Gupta, Monica
- 185-196 Planned orphanhood
by Landau, Ruth
- 197-214 Maternal mortality, women's status, and economic dependency in less developed countries: a cross-national analysis
by Shen, Ce & Williamson, John B.
- 215-222 Rationality in medical treatment decisions: is there a sunk-cost effect?
by Bornstein, Brian H. & Christine Emler, A. & Chapman, Gretchen B.
- 223-240 National health policies: sub-Saharan African case studies (1980-1990)
by Dugbatey, Kwesi
- 241-251 HIV-related sexual risk assessment among Asian/Pacific Islander American Women: an inductive model
by Chin, Dorothy
- 253-266 Occupational class and the probability of long-term limiting illness
by Borooah, Vani K.
- 267-278 Goal-setting in clinical medicine
by Bradley, Elizabeth H. & BogardusJr., Sidney T. & Tinetti, Mary E. & Inouye, Sharon K.
- 279-289 Pharmacy and herbal medicine in the US
by Bouldin, Alicia S. & Smith, Mickey C. & Garner, Dewey D. & Szeinbach, Sheryl L. & Frate, Dennis A. & Croom, Edward M.
1999, Volume 49, Issue 1
- 1-16 Effect of price and access on contraceptive use
by Levin, Ann & Caldwell, Bruce & Khuda, Barkat-e
- 17-26 Production gains from health care: what should be included in cost-effectiveness analyses?
by Olsen, Jan Abel & Richardson, Jeff
- 27-38 The referral process and urban health care in sub-Saharan Africa: the case of Lusaka, Zambia
by Atkinson, Sarah & Ngwengwe, Alasford & Macwan'gi, Mubiana & Ngulube, T. J. & Harpham, Trudy & O'Connell, Andrew
- 39-53 Power between evaluator and community: research relationships within New Mexico's healthier communities
by Wallerstein, Nina
- 55-66 Between intention and behavior: an application of community pharmacists' assessment of pharmaceutical care
by Farris, Karen B. & Schopflocher, Donald P.
- 67-80 Exploring the bio-psycho-social approach to premenstrual experiences
by Anson, Ofra
- 81-91 Urban and rural suicide differentials in migrants and the Australian-born, New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994
by Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 93-108 Ecological pattern of first admitted schizophrenics in two German cities over 25 years
by Löffler, W. & Häfner, H.
- 109-120 The sense of coherence, occupation and the risk of coronary heart disease in the Helsinki Heart Study
by Poppius, Esko & Tenkanen, Leena & Kalimo, Raija & Heinsalmi, Pertti
- 121-131 Does employment improve the health of lone mothers?
by Baker, D. & North, K.
- 133-142 Social support at age 33: the influence of gender, employment status and social class
by Matthews, Sharon & Stansfeld, Stephen & Power, Chris
- 143-149 Morbidity and quality of life and the moderating effects of level of education in the elderly
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & Brilman, Els I. & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Ormel, Johan
1999, Volume 48, Issue 12
- 1701-1711 Neighbourhood characteristics and use of benzodiazepines in The Netherlands
by Groenewegen, Peter P. & Leufkens, Hubert G. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Worm, Wilmar
- 1713-1720 Do risk factors and health behaviours contribute to self-ratings of health?
by Manderbacka, Kristiina & Lundberg, Olle & Martikainen, Pekka
- 1721-1734 Social support, social selection and self-assessed health status: results from the veterans health study in the United States
by Ren, Xinhua S. & Skinner, Katherine & Lee, Austin & Kazis, Lewis
- 1735-1742 The influence of the cardiac surgery patient's sex and age on care-giving received
by King, Kathryn M. & Koop, Priscilla M.
- 1743-1750 Disease activity and severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: relations to socioeconomic inequality
by Brekke, Mette & Hjortdahl, Per & Thelle, Dag S. & Kvien, Tore K.
- 1751-1758 Social inequalities in male mortality amenable to medical intervention in British Columbia
by Wood, Evan & Sallar, Anthony M. & Schechter, Martin T. & Hogg, Robert S.
- 1759-1777 Explaining differential rates of mortality decline for Swedish men and women: a time-series analysis, 1945-1992
by Hemström, Örjan
- 1779-1789 Ethnicity and attitudes towards life sustaining technology
by Blackhall, Leslie J. & Frank, Gelya & Murphy, Sheila T. & Michel, Vicki & Palmer, Joycelynne M. & Azen, Stanley P.
- 1791-1802 The meanings of pain: an exploration of women's descriptions of symptoms
by Johansson, Eva E. & Hamberg, Katarina & Westman, Göran & Lindgren, Gerd
- 1803-1820 The health transition, global modernity and the crisis of traditional medicine: the Tibetan case
by Janes, Craig R.
- 1821-1832 The historical roots of high rates of infant death in Aboriginal communities in Canada in the early twentieth century: the case of Fisher River, Manitoba
by Moffat, Tina & Herring, Ann
- 1833-1850 Disease and immunity in the pre-Spanish Philippines
by Newson, Linda A.
- 1851-1856 The health impact of smoking in manual and non-manual social class men and women: a test of the Blaxter hypothesis
by Marang-van de Mheen, Perla J. & Davey Smith, George & Hart, Carole L.
- 1857-1860 Will genetic testing for predisposition for disease result in fatalism? A qualitative study of parents responses to neonatal screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia
by Senior, Victoria & Marteau, Theresa M. & Peters, Timothy J.
1999, Volume 48, Issue 11
- 1507-1515 Integrating response shift into health-related quality of life research: a theoretical model
by Sprangers, Mirjam A. G. & Schwartz, Carolyn E.
- 1517-1530 Social comparison as a mediator of response shift
by Gibbons, F. X.
- 1531-1548 Methodological approaches for assessing response shift in longitudinal health-related quality-of-life research
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Sprangers, Mirjam A. G.
- 1549-1561 Discrepancies between self-reported and observed physical function in the elderly: the influence of response shift and other factors
by Daltroy, Lawren H. & Larson, Martin G. & Eaton, Holley M. & Phillips, Charlotte B. & Liang, Matthew H.
- 1563-1575 Helping others helps oneself: response shift effects in peer support
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Sendor, Rabbi Meir
- 1577-1588 Clinical understanding and clinical implications of response shift
by B. Wilson, Ira
- 1589-1598 The role of the privatization process on tuberculosis control in HoChiMinh City Province, Vietnam
by Naterop, Eric & Wolffers, Ivan
- 1599-1611 Economic and health efficiency of education funding policy
by Curtin, T. R. C. & Nelson, E. A. S.
- 1613-1623 The impact of perinatal loss on adjustment to subsequent pregnancy
by Franche, Renée-Louise & Mikail, Samuel F.
- 1625-1639 Beyond the biomedical and behavioural: towards an integrated approach to HIV prevention in the Southern African mining industry
by Campbell, Catherine & Williams, Brian
- 1641-1654 Cognitive predictors of adherence to malaria prophylaxis regimens on return from a malarious region: a prospective study
by Abraham, Charles & Clift, Stephen & Grabowski, Peter
- 1655-1667 Harmonising and competing for medicines regulation: how healthy are the European Union's systems of drug approval?
by Abraham, John & Lewis, Graham
- 1669-1684 Preventive behavior among recent immigrants: Russian-speaking women and cancer screening in Israel
by Remennick, Larissa I.
- 1685-1695 Stories of illness and trauma survival: liberation or repression?
by Crossley, Michele L.
1999, Volume 48, Issue 10
- 1307-1319 Power, control and resistance in the timing of health and care
by Fox, Nick J
- 1321-1332 Spatiality, embodiment and hazards encountered in the making of pots
by Bellaby, Paul
- 1333-1340 Family structure and patient survival in an African-American end-stage renal disease population: a preliminary investigation
by Turner-Musa, Jocelyn & Leidner, David & Simmens, Samuel & Reiss, David & Kimmel, Paul L & Holder, Barbara
- 1341-1352 Information needs in terminal illness
by Kutner, Jean S & Steiner, John F & Corbett, Kitty K & Jahnigen, Dennis W & Barton, Phoebe L
- 1353-1362 Psychosocial problem disclosure by primary care patients
by Robinson, John W & Roter, Debra L
- 1363-1372 Gender, psychosocial factors and the use of medical services: a longitudinal analysis
by Green, Carla A & Pope, Clyde R
- 1373-1393 Psychosocial outcome assessments for use in cardiac rehabilitation service evaluation: a 10-year systematic review
by McGee, H.M. & Hevey, D. & Horgan, J.H.
- 1395-1405 Disability terminology in the media: a comparison of newspaper reports in Canada and Israel
by Auslander, Gail K & Gold, Nora
- 1407-1414 The `dop' system, alcohol abuse and social control amongst farm workers in South Africa: a public health challenge
by London, Leslie
- 1415-1432 The impact of market oriented reforms on choice and information: a case study of cataract surgery in outer London and Stockholm
by Fotaki, Marianna
- 1433-1440 Demographic and socio-economic determinants of community and hospital services costs for people with HIV/AIDS in London
by Kupek, Emil & Dooley, Mary & Whitaker, Luke & Petrou, Stavros & Renton, Adrian
- 1441-1448 Doing a shotgun: a drug use practice and its relationship to sexual behaviors and infection risk
by Perlman, David C & Henman, Anthony R & Kochems, Lee & Paone, Denise & Salomon, Nadim & Des Jarlais, Don C
- 1449-1462 A critique of seven assumptions behind psychological trauma programmes in war-affected areas
by Summerfield, Derek
- 1463-1474 `With the best of reasons': cervical cancer prevention policy and the suppression of sexual risk factor information
by Braun, Virginia & Gavey, Nicola
- 1475-1481 Political self-characterization of US women physicians
by Frank, Erica
- 1483-1490 Geographies of health perception in Québec: a multilevel perspective
by Pampalon, Robert & Duncan, Craig & Subramanian, S.V & Jones, Kelvyn
- 1491-1499 The persisting effect of unemployment on health and social well-being in men early in working life
by Wadsworth, M.E.J & Montgomery, S.M & Bartley, M.J
1999, Volume 48, Issue 9
- 1123-1133 ''You just look at our work and see if you have any freedom on earth'': Ghanaian women's accounts of their work and their health
by Avotri, Joyce Yaa & Walters, Vivienne
- 1135-1148 Antecedents and consequences of work-home interference among medical residents
by Geurts, Sabine & Rutte, Christel & Peeters, Maria
- 1149-1160 The incorporation of different demand concepts in the job demand-control model: effects on health care professionals
by de Jonge, Jan & Mulder, Marike J. G. P. & Nijhuis, Frans J. N.
- 1161-1172 The relationship of functional limitations to disability and the moderating effects of psychological attributes in community-dwelling older persons
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & van Heuvelen, Marieke J. G. & van Sonderen, Eric & van den Brink, Rob H. S. & Kooijman, Aart C. & Ormel, Johan
- 1173-1187 Models of disablement, universalism and the international classification of impairments, disabilities and handicaps
by Bickenbach, Jerome E. & Chatterji, Somnath & Badley, E. M. & Üstün, T. B.
- 1189-1203 The power of the visible: the meaning of diagnostic tests in chronic back pain
by Rhodes, Lorna A. & McPhillips-Tangum, Carol A. & Markham, Christine & Klenk, Rebecca
- 1205-1220 A cost-effectiveness analysis of vaccination strategies against N. meningitidis meningitis in sub-Saharan African countries
by Bovier, Patrick A. & Wyss, Kaspar & J. Au, Heather
- 1221-1235 Gender differences in structural and behavioral determinants of health: an analysis of the social production of health
by Denton, Margaret & Walters, Vivienne
- 1237-1245 Do ethnic groups use health services like the majority of the population? A study from Quebec, Canada
by Blais, Régis & Maïga, Aboubacrine
- 1247-1258 No struggle, no strength: how pharmacists lost their monopoly
by Morgall, Janine Marie & Almarsdóttir, Anna Birna
- 1259-1269 Measuring both negative and positive reactions to giving care to cancer patients: psychometric qualities of the Caregiver Reaction Assessment (CRA)
by Nijboer, Chris & Triemstra, Mattanja & Tempelaar, Reike & Sanderman, Robbert & van den Bos, Geertrudis A. M.
- 1271-1280 Extending specialist palliative care to all?
by Field, David & Addington-Hall, Julia
- 1281-1290 The gradient in mammography screening behavior: a lifestyle marker
by Hagoel, Lea & Ore, Liora & Neter, Efrat & Shifroni, Galia & Rennert, Gad
- 1291-1299 The effect of spiritual beliefs on outcome from illness
by King, Michael & Speck, Peter & Thomas, Angela
1999, Volume 48, Issue 8
- 977-988 The disability paradox: high quality of life against all odds
by Albrecht, Gary L. & Devlieger, Patrick J.
- 989-996 Patient satisfaction in developing countries
by Bernhart, Michael H. & Wiadnyana, I. G. P. & Wihardjo, Haryoko & Pohan, Imbalos
- 997-1009 Risk analysis of poor health and growth failure of children in the central highlands of Guatemala
by Immink, Maarten D. C. & Payongayong, Ellen
- 1011-1027 Predictors of childhood immunization completion in a rural population
by Gore, Prasanna & Madhavan, Suresh & Curry, David & McClung, Gordon & Castiglia, Mary & Rosenbluth, Sidney A. & Smego, Raymond A.
- 1029-1046 Starting mental health services in Cambodia
by Somasundaram, Daya J. & van de Put, Willem A. C. M. & Eisenbruch, Maurice & de Jong, Joop T. V. M.
- 1047-1051 From African health and influenza pandemics to disease in Russia: the medical history of K. David Patterson
by Pyle, Gerald F.
- 1053-1067 Attaining health for all through community partnerships: principles of the census-based, impact-oriented (CBIO) approach to primary health care developed in Bolivia, South America
by Perry, Henry & Robison, Nathan & Chavez, Dardo & Taja, Orlando & Carolina Hilari & Shanklin, David & Wyon, John
- 1069-1079 Perceptions of soil-eating and anaemia among pregnant women on the Kenyan coast
by Geissler, P. W. & Prince, R. J. & Levene, M. & Poda, C. & Beckerleg, S. E. & Mutemi, W. & Shulman, C. E.
- 1081-1094 The social ecology of syphilis
by Thomas, James C. & Clark, Michele & Robinson, Jadis & Monnett, Martha & Kilmarx, Peter H. & Peterman, Thomas A.
- 1095-1102 Implications of social class and race for urban public health policy making: a case study of HIV/AIDS and TB policy in Washington, DCThe views in this paper are the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or position of the authors' agencies
by Dievler, Anne & Pappas, Gregory
- 1103-1116 Sexual regimes and sexual networking: the risk of an HIV/AIDS epidemic in Bangladesh
by Caldwell, Bruce & Pieris, Indrani & Barkat-e-Khuda & Caldwell, John & Caldwell, Pat
- 1117-1122 Reliability of perceived health by sex and age
by Martikainen, Pekka & Aromaa, Arpo & Heliövaara, Markku & Klaukka, Timo & Knekt, Paul & Maatela, Jouni & Lahelma, Eero
1999, Volume 48, Issue 7
- 871-879 Developing health insurance in transitional Asia
by Ensor, Tim
- 881-896 Social movements and health insurance: a critical evaluation of voluntary, non-profit insurance schemes with case studies from Ghana and Cameroon
by Atim, Chris
- 897-911 The Bwamanda hospital insurance scheme: effective for whom? A study of its impact on hospital utilization patterns
by Criel, Bart & Van der Stuyft, Patrick & Van Lerberghe, Wim
- 913-923 The social security scheme in Thailand: what lessons can be drawn?
by Tangcharoensathien, Viroj & Supachutikul, Anuwat & Lertiendumrong, Jongkol
- 925-938 The potential for social mobilisation in Bangladesh: the organisation and functioning of two health insurance schemes
by Desmet, M. & Chowdhury, A. Q. & Islam, Md. K.
- 939-950 NGOs in community health insurance schemes: examples from Guatemala and the Philippines
by Ron, Aviva
- 951-960 Rural health prepayment schemes in China: towards a more active role for government
by Bloom, Gerald & Shenglan, Tang
- 961-972 The reform of the rural cooperative medical system in the People's Republic of China: interim experience in 14 pilot counties
by Carrin, Guy & Ron, Aviva & Hui, Yang & Hong, Wang & Tuohong, Zhang & Licheng, Zhang & Shuo, Zhang & Yide, Ye & Jiaying, Chen & Qicheng, Jiang & Zhaoyang, Zhang & Jun, Yu & Xuesheng, Li
1999, Volume 48, Issue 6
- 711-718 Issues in promoting health
by Mechanic, David
- 719-731 Crime: social disorganization and relative deprivation
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Wilkinson, Richard G.
- 733-744 Aggregation and the measurement of income inequality: effects on morbidity
by Soobader, Mah-Jabeen & LeClere, Felicia B.
- 745-755 Gender matters: an integrated model for understanding men's and women's health
by Bird, Chloe E. & Rieker, Patricia P.
- 759-775 The relationship between tobacco access and use among adolescents: a four community study
by Altman, David G. & Wheelis, Anne Y. & McFarlane, Mary & Lee, Hye-Ryeon & Fortmann, Stephen P.
- 777-786 Drug policy in China: pharmaceutical distribution in rural areas
by Dong, Hengjin & Bogg, Lennart & Rehnberg, Clas & Diwan, Vinod
- 787-796 Marital food interaction and dietary behavior
by Schafer, Robert B. & Schafer, Elisabeth & Dunbar, Martin & Keith, Patricia M.
- 797-813 Prioritising family health needs: a time-space analysis of women's health-related behaviours
by Young, Ruth
- 815-832 Effectiveness of community-directed diabetes prevention and control in a rural Aboriginal population in British Columbia, Canada
by Daniel, Mark & Green, Lawrence W. & Marion, Stephen A. & Gamble, Diane & Herbert, Carol P. & Hertzman, Clyde & Sheps, Sam B.
- 833-843 Addressing birth in Gaza: using qualitative methods to improve vital registration
by Lewando-Hundt, G. & Abed, Y. & Skeik, M. & Beckerleg, S. & El Alem, A.
- 845-853 Improving drug use: a case study of events which led to changes in use of flucloxacillin in Australia
by Roughead, Elizabeth E. & Gilbert, Andrew L. & Primrose, John G.
1999, Volume 48, Issue 5
- 575-589 Psychological aspects of in vitro fertilization: a review
by Eugster, A. & Vingerhoets, A. J. J. M.
- 591-605 Structuring the meaning of hope in health and illness
by Nekolaichuk, Cheryl L. & Jevne, Ronna F. & Maguire, Thomas O.
- 607-618 Local knowledge and treatment of malaria in Agusan del Sur, The Philippines
by Miguel, Cynthia A. & Tallo, Veronica L. & Manderson, Lenore & Lansang, Mary Ann
- 619-631 Learning from unreliability: the importance of inconsistency in coping dynamics
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Daltroy, Lawren H.
- 633-646 Hierarchies and cliques in the social networks of health care professionals: implications for the design of dissemination strategies
by West, Elizabeth & Barron, David N. & Dowsett, Juliet & Newton, John N.
- 647-660 Value added to health by pharmacists
by Indritz, Mary E. S. & Artz, Margaret B.
- 661-673 Social relations: network, support and relational strain
by Due, Pernille & Holstein, Bjørn & Lund, Rikke & Modvig, Jens & Avlund, Kirsten
- 675-682 Short stature and the age of enrolment in Primary School: studies in two African countries
by The Partnership for Child Development
- 683-692 Reducing coronary heart disease in the Australian Coalfields: evaluation of a 10-year community intervention
by Higginbotham, Nick & Heading, Gaynor & McElduff, Patrick & Dobson, Annette & Heller, Richard
- 693-705 Income and health: what is the nature of the relationship?
by Ecob, Russell & Davey Smith, George