Real wages and the business cycle in Germany
AbstractThis paper establishes stylized facts about the cyclicality of real consumer wages and real producer wages in Germany. As detrending methods we apply the deterministic trend model, the Beveridge-Nelson decomposition, the Hodrick-Prescott filter, the Baxter-King filter and the structural time series model. The detrended data are analyzed both in the time domain and in the frequency domain. The great advantage of an analysis in the frequency domain is that it allows to assess the relative importance of particular frequencies for the behavior of real wages. In the time domain we find that both real wages display a procyclical pattern and lag behind the business cycle. In the frequency domain the consumer real wage lags behind the business cycle and shows an anticyclical behavior for shorter time periods, whereas for longer time spans a procyclical behavior can be observed. However, for the producer real wage the results in the frequency domain remain inconclusive. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID) in its series FZID Discussion Papers with number 20-2010.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
real wages; business cycle; frequency domain; time domain; trend-cycle decomposition; structural time series model; phase angle; Germany;
Other versions of this item:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2010-11-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2010-11-13 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2010-11-13 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marczak, Martyna & Gómez, Víctor, 2012. "SPECTRAN, a set of Matlab programs for Spectral analysis," FZID Discussion Papers 60-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Marczak, Martyna & Gómez, Victor, 2013. "Monthly US business cycle indicators: A new multivariate approach based on a band-pass filter," FZID Discussion Papers 64-2013, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Marczak, Martyna & Gómez, Víctor, 2012. "Cyclicality of real wages in the USA and Germany: New insights from wavelet analysis," FZID Discussion Papers 50-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.