In Search of a Stylised Fact: Do Real Wages Exhibit a Consistent Pattern of Cyclical Variability?
AbstractThe paper surveys the studies on the cyclical behavior of real wages published from the twenties onwards. Both traditional simple neoclassical and Keynesian models of the labour market suggest that real wages tend to move countercyclically. However, from a theoretical viewpoint, there are few reasons to expect this behavior, once the simple model is extended to account for imperfect competition, uncertainty, lagged responses, or contracting between firms and workers. Empirical studies give different answers to the problem. The contributions reviewed in the paper are arranged roughly in chronological order: the interwar period, the postwar pre-econometric studies, the econometric work using aggregate data, the evidence produced on the basis of longitudinal data, the analyses of the shock-responsiveness of real wages, and, finally, the most recent papers attempting a reconciliation of the somewhat conflicting evidence derived from aggregate and panel data. Copyright 1995 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 9 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
Other versions of this item:
- A Brandolini, 1993. "In Search of a Stylised Fact: Do Real Wages Exhibit a Consistent Pattern of Cyclical Variability?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0112, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marczak, Martyna & Beissinger, Thomas, 2010.
"Real Wages and the Business Cycle in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5199, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rodolphe Dos Santos Ferreira & Philippe Michel, 2013. "Keynes' Wage–Price Dynamics," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 44-72, 02.
- Anabela Carneiro & Paulo Guimarães & Pedro Portugal, 2009.
"Real Wages and the Business Cycle: Accounting for Worker and Firm Heterogeneity,"
w200910, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Guimaraes, Paulo & Portugal, Pedro, 2009. "Real Wages and the Business Cycle: Accounting for Worker and Firm Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 4174, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anabela Carneiro & Paulo Guimaraes & Pedro Portugal, 2009. "Real Wages and the Business Cycle: Accounting for Worker and Firm Heterogeneity," CEF.UP Working Papers 0903, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Nicolas Petrosky-Nadeau, 2014.
"Credit, Vacancies and Unemployment Fluctuations,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 17(2), April.
- Nicolas Petrosky-Nadeau, 2009. "Credit, Vacancies and Unemployment Fluctuations," GSIA Working Papers 2009-E27, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Nicolas Petrosky-Nadeau, 2008. "Credit, Vacancies and Unemployment Fluctuations," 2008 Meeting Papers 640, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Richard Rogerson, 1996.
"Institutions and Labor Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
5828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2007.
"Workers’ Flows and Real Wage Cyclicality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2604, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "Workers' Flows and Real Wage Cyclicality," Working Papers w200409, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "Workers' Flows and Real Wage Cyclicality," CEF.UP Working Papers 0402, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Jean-Bernard CHATELAIN, 1999.
"Taux de marge et structure financière,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 53, pages 127-147.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain, 1999. "Taux de marge et structure financière," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00118639, HAL.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain, 1999. "Taux de marge et structure financière," Post-Print halshs-00118639, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.