Cyclical Properties of Baxter-King Filtered Time Series
AbstractThis note demonstrates that the Baxter-King (1999) filter, and in general any bandpass filter, does not isolate the cycle in an unobserved-components model with a stochastic trend. The first difference of the trend passes through the filter, and as a result, the spectral properties of the filtered series depend on the trend in the unfiltered series. It is demonstrated that for postwar U.S. real GDP, the spectral properties of the BK-filtered series are primarily to due to the stochastic trend in output. © 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles R. Nelson, 2006.
"The Beveridge-Nelson Decomposition in Retrospect and Prospect,"
UWEC-2007-30, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Nelson, Charles R., 2008. "The Beveridge-Nelson decomposition in retrospect and prospect," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 202-206, October.
- Yueqing Jia, 2011. "A New Look at China’s Output Fluctuations: Quarterly GDP Estimation with an Unobserved Components Approach," Working Papers 2011-006, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2006.
"Volatility of interest rates in the euro area: Evidence from high frequency data,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6-7), pages 513-528.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2003. "Volatility of interest rates in the euro area: evidence from high frequency data," Working Paper Series 0235, European Central Bank.
- Tara Sinclair & Sinchan Mitra, 2008.
"Output Fluctuations in the G-7: An Unobserved Components Approach,"
2008-04, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Mitra, Sinchan & Sinclair, Tara M., 2012. "Output Fluctuations In The G-7: An Unobserved Components Approach," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 396-422, June.
- Sinchan Mitra & Tara M. Sinclair, . "Output Fluctuations in the G-7: An Unobserved Components Approach," MRG Discussion Paper Series 2509, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Arturo Estrella, 2007. "Extracting business cycle fluctuations: what do time series filters really do?," Staff Reports 289, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Itir Ozer & Ibrahim Ozkan, 2007. "Optimum filtering for optimum currency areas criteria," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(44), pages 1-18.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:44:p:1-18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Xiaoshan & Kontonikas, Alexandros & Montagnoli, Alberto, 2012.
"Asset prices, credit and the business cycle,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 857-861.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:60:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2005.
"A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 75-102, February.
- Alain Noullez & Alessandra Iacobucci, 2004. "A Frequency-selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 128, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2004. "A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2004-05, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Alessandra Iacobucci, 2003. "Spectral Analysis for Economic Time Series," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2003-07, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- João Valle e Azevedo, 2007.
"Interpretation of the Effects of Filtering Integrated Time Series,"
w200712, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Valle e Azevedo, João, 2007. "Interpretation of the Effects of Filtering Integrated Time Series," MPRA Paper 6574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfred A. Haug & William G. Dewald, 2012.
"Money, Output, And Inflation In The Longer Term: Major Industrial Countries, 1880–2001,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(3), pages 773-787, 07.
- Alfred A. Haug & William G. Dewald, 2010. "Money, Output and Inflation in the Longer Term: Major Industrial Countries, 1880-2001," Working Papers 1013, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2010.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2008:i:33:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Klaus Abberger & Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2011. "Die ifo Konjunkturuhr: Zirkulare Korrelation mit dem realen Bruttoinlandsprodukt," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 179-201, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.