Economic FAQs About the Internet
AbstractThis is a set of Frequently Asked Questions (and answers) about the economic, institutional, and technological structure of the Internet. We describe the history and current state of the Internet, discuss some of the pressing economic and regulatory problems, and speculate about future developments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 9606001.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 03 Jun 1996
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on Windows; to print on Postscript; pages: 28 ; figures: none. This is a recently re-edited but largely unchanged version of our 1995 paper. Various updates have been published in several places, including the Journal of Economic Perspectives, and soon in Internet Economics, eds. J. Bailey and L. McKnight, MIT Press
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Internet; telecommunications; congestion pricing; National Information Infrastructure;
Other versions of this item:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MacKie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.L., 1993.
"Some Economists of the Internet,"
93-16, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993.
"Pricing the Internet,"
20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Liam Murphy & John Murphy, 1996. "The Role of Responsive Pricing in the Internet," Microeconomics 9606001, EconWPA.
- Richard Arnott & Andre de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 1996.
"Information and Time-of-Usage Decisions in the Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Capacity and Demand,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
355., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1999. "Information and time-of-usage decisions in the bottleneck model with stochastic capacity and demand," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 525-548, March.
- R. Arnott & A. de Palma & R. Lindsey, 1997. "Information and time-of-usage decisions in the bottleneck model with stochastic capacity and demand," THEMA Working Papers 97-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Carsten Schmidt & Tobias Uske, 2004. "Reputationsmechanismen für Informationsgüter auf Internet-Meinungsportalen," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2004-13, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Sieber, Sandra & Valor, Josep, 2002. "Market bundling strategies in the horizontal portal industry," IESE Research Papers D/480, IESE Business School.
- Paul A. David, 2001. "The Beginnings and Prospective Ending of “End-to-End”," Working Papers 01012, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Langinier, Corinne & Marcoul, Philippe, 2009.
"Contributory infringement rule and patents,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1-2), pages 296-310, May.
- Paul Resnick & Christopher Avery & Richard Zeckhauser, 1999. "The Market for Evaluations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 564-584, June.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage, 2000.
"Some Economic and Social Aspects of Residential Internet Use in Australia,"
Journal of Media Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 171-185.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 2000. "Some economic and social aspects of residential internet use in Australia," MPRA Paper 11158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eric Friedman, 1998. "Learnability of a class of Non-atomic Games arising on the Internet," Departmental Working Papers 199824, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Toshiya JITSUZUMI, 2011. "Japan's Co-Regulatory Approach to Net Neutrality and its Flaw: Insufficient Literacy on Best-Effort QoS," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(84), pages 93-110, 4th quart.
- Paul A. David, 2005. "The Beginnings and Prospective Ending of “End-to-End”: An Evolutionary Perspective On the Internet’s Architecture," Industrial Organization 0502012, EconWPA.
- Shavit, Tal & Sonsino, Doron & Benzion, Uri, 2001. "A comparative study of lotteries-evaluation in class and on the Web," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 483-491, August.
- Michael Reutter, 2001. "Regulation and Internet Access in Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 480, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.