An Efficient Mechanism for Differentiated Quality of Internet Service
AbstractThe Internet industry has realized the importance of provisioning different quality of service to different applications. This paper proposes the integrated differentiated services that achieves the efficient throughput allocation without significant queue management or real-time pricing costs. Competing differentiated services integrates networks into a single network in an economy and allows endusers to submit packets to many networks. In equilibrium, each network posts any price for a submitted packet over time by virtue of the revenue equivalence property.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McMaster University in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 2003-05.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: May 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Jacques & Hariton, Cyril, 1999. "The Pricing of Critical Applications in the Internet," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 281-310, December.
- Alok Gupta & Dale O. Stahl, 1996.
"A Stochastic Equilibrium Model of Internet Pricing,"
CARE Working Papers, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics
9604, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
- Gupta, Alok & Stahl, Dale O. & Whinston, Andrew B., 1997. "A stochastic equilibrium model of internet pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 697-722, May.
- MacKie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.L., 1993.
"Some Economists of the Internet,"
Papers, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory
93-16, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Hal R. Varian, 1994.
"Pricing the Internet,"
Computational Economics, EconWPA
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993. "Pricing the Internet," Memorandum, Oslo University, Department of Economics 20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.