AbstractWe study the efficiency property of responsive pricing - a scheme first proposed by Vickrey - that increases prices as a function of capacity utilization. We show that although responsive pricing implements allocations that are arbitrarily close to market clearing, these allocations are not always efficient. We identify conditions under which efficiency occurs and discuss implications for the use of responsive pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 4036.
Date of creation: Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Rationing; Licensing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-IND-2003-09-28 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oren, Shmuel S & Smith, Stephen S & Wilson, Robert B, 1985. "Capacity Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 545-66, May.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Hal R. Varian, 1994.
"Some Economics of the Internet,"
- Crew, Michael A & Fernando, Chitru S & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1995. "The Theory of Peak-Load Pricing: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 215-48, November.
- William Vickrey, 1971. "Responsive Pricing of Public Utility Services," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 337-346, Spring.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1981. "A Theory of Monopoly Pricing Schemes with Demand Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 347-65, June.
- Mario Pagliero & Pascal Courty, 2004. "Estimating the Welfare Gains from Responsive Pricing: Evidence from an Internet Cafe," 2004 Meeting Papers 877, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Barro, Robert J & Romer, Paul M, 1987. "Ski-Lift Pricing, with Applications to Labor and Other," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 875-90, December.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2010.
"Price variation antagonism and firm pricing policies,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 235-249, August.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2006. "Price Variation Antagonism and Firm Pricing Policies," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/27, European University Institute.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2008. "Price Variation Antagonism and Firm Pricing Policies," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/02, European University Institute.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2007. "Price Variation Antagonism and Firm Pricing Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 6663, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Mario Pagliero, 2008.
"Does Responsive Pricing Smooth Demand Shocks?,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2008/01, European University Institute.
- Courty, Pascal & Pagliero, Mario, 2003. "Does Responsive Pricing Increase Efficiency? Evidence from Pricing Experiments in an Internet Café," CEPR Discussion Papers 4149, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lindsey, Robin, 2009. "Cost recovery from congestion tolls with random capacity and demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 16-24, July.
- Fabio Musso, 2010. "Innovation in Marketing Channels," Symphonya. Emerging Issues in Management, University of Milano-Bicocca, issue 1 Marketi.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.