Estimating the Long-Run Impact of Forest Fires on the Eucalyptus Timber Supply in Galicia, Spain
AbstractUsing annual data, we have estimated the timber harvest of eucalyptus in the region of Galicia (Spain). The explanatory variables considered were price, pulp exports, and salvage timber. The latter variable was used as a proxy for forest fires. The problems related to spurious regression were addressed by applying the bounds testing approach to cointegration, and confidence intervals were constructed using the bootstrap technique. The results indicate that pulp exports have a positive effect on the harvested timber volume. Moreover, we find that salvage timber positively affects the timber supply. This result indicates that there is no substitution between salvage timber and non-damaged timber. It also suggests that the natural expansion of the eucalyptus in Galicia compensates for the destruction caused by forest fires, avoiding supply shortages. On the other hand, and according to the economic law of supply, the timber price shows a negative effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada in its series Working Papers with number 1206.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
eucalyptus; forest fires; cointegration; ARDL; bootstrap;
Other versions of this item:
- González-Gómez, Manuel & Álvarez-Díaz, Marcos & Otero-Giráldez, María Soledad, 2013. "Estimating the long-run impact of forest fires on the eucalyptus timber supply in Galicia, Spain," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-161.
- NEP-AGR-2012-10-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2012-10-27 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew H. Briggs & David E. Wonderling & Christopher Z. Mooney, 1997. "Pulling cost-effectiveness analysis up by its bootstraps: A non-parametric approach to confidence interval estimation," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 327-340.
- Chas Amil, María Luisa, 2007. "Forest fires in Galicia (Spain): A reply," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 211-215, November.
- González-Gómez, Manuel & Otero Giráldez, Mª Soledad & Álvarez-Díaz, Marcos, 2011. "Explaining wood stock increases in times of decreasing profitability: A statistical analysis," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 176-183, March.
- Ansgar Belke & Thorsten Polleit, 2006.
"Monetary policy and dividend growth in Germany: long-run structural modelling versus bounds testing approach,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(12), pages 1409-1423.
- Ansgar Belke & Thorsten Polleit, 2005. "Monetary Policy and Dividend Growth in Germany: Long-Run Structural Modelling versus Bounds Testing Approach," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 250/2005, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Rtta Hanninen & Anne Toppinen, 1999. "Long-run price effects of exchange rate changes in Finnish pulp and paper exports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 947-956.
- De Vita, Glauco & Abbott, Andrew, 2002. "Are saving and investment cointegrated? An ARDL bounds testing approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 293-299, October.
- de Freitas, Luciano Charlita & Kaneko, Shinji, 2012. "Is there a causal relation between ethanol innovation and the market characteristics of fuels in Brazil?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 161-168.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P. & Wear, David N. & Stewart, Fred J. & Holmes, Thomas P., 2006. "Wildfire, timber salvage, and the economics of expediency," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 312-322, April.
- Morley, Bruce, 2006. "Causality between economic growth and immigration: An ARDL bounds testing approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 72-76, January.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Størdal, Ståle & Lien, Gudbrand & Baardsen, Sjur, 2008. "Analyzing determinants of forest owners' decision-making using a sample selection framework," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 159-176, June.
- Chas Amil, María Luisa, 2007. "Forest fires in Galicia (Spain): Threats and challenges for the future," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-5, May.
- Bazoumana Ouattara, 2006. "Aid, debt and fiscal policies in Senegal," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 1105-1122.
- Baek, Jungho, 2007. "The J-curve effect and the US-Canada forest products trade," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 245-258, November.
- Frimpong, Joseph Magnus & Oteng-Abayie, Eric Fosu, 2006. "Bounds testing approach: an examination of foreign direct investment, trade, and growth relationships," MPRA Paper 352, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Oct 2006.
- David Brownstone & Robert Valletta, 2001. "The Bootstrap and Multiple Imputations: Harnessing Increased Computing Power for Improved Statistical Tests," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 129-141, Fall.
- Song, Nianfu & Chang, Sun Joseph & Aguilar, Francisco X., 2011. "U.S. softwood lumber demand and supply estimation using cointegration in dynamic equations," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Jeffrey P. Prestemon & Thomas P. Holmes, 2000. "Timber Price Dynamics Following a Natural Catastrophe," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 145-160.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Bardsen, G., 1988. "On The Estimation Of Long Run Coefficients In Error Correction Models," Papers 03-88, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Barrio, Melina & Loureiro, Maria L. & Chas, Maria Luisa, 2007. "Aproximacion a las perdidas economicas ocasionadas a corto plazo por los incendios forestales en Galicia en 2006," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 7(14).
- Bruce Morley, 2007. "The monetary model of the exchange rate and equities: an ARDL bounds testing approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 391-397.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia González Piñeiro).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.