U.S. softwood lumber demand and supply estimation using cointegration in dynamic equations
AbstractThis research estimated dynamic supply and demand equations for the U.S. softwood lumber using two-stage least squares. Long-run and ECM equations were derived from the estimated coefficients. Empirical data included monthly observations from 1990 to late 2006. Stationarity of the residuals was explored using Augmented Dickey-Fuller statistics. Results suggest that demand and supply elasticities in both short and long-run are relatively small compared with past studies. The Canadian softwood lumber supply to the U.S. is more price elastic than the domestic softwood lumber supply. U.S. import tariffs have had limited impact on the amount of softwood lumber imported from Canada. Technological progress and end-of-year seasonal effects on softwood lumber demand and supply were significant over this period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Forest Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/701775/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BERNARD, Jean-Thomas & BOUTHILLIER, Luc & CATIMEL, Jérôme & GELINAS, Nancy, 1995.
"An Integrated Model of Quebec-Ontario-U.S. Northeast Softwood Lumber Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
9517, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Luc Bouthillier & Jér�me Catimel & Nancy Gélinas, 1997. "An Integrated Model of Québec-Ontario-U.S. Northeast Softwood Lumber Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 987-1000.
- Cardellichio, Peter A, 1990. "Estimation of Production Behavior Using Pooled Microdata," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 11-18, February.
- Keshab Shrestha & Kok Tan, 2005. "Real Interest Rate Parity: Long-Run and Short-Run Analysis Using Wavelets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 139-157, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Rovelli, Riccardo, 2005.
"Monetary policy transmission, interest rate rules and inflation targeting in three transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 183-201, January.
- Roberto Golinelli & Riccardo Rovelli, 2002. "Monetary Policy Transmission, Interest Rate Rules and Inflation Targeting in Three Transition Countries," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp10, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Cheng Hsiao & Yan Shen & Hiroshi Fujiki, 2002.
"Aggregate vs Disaggregate Data Analysis - A Paradox in the Estimation of Money Demand Function of Japan Under the Low Interest Rate Policy,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
A4-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Yan Shen & Cheng Hsiao & Hiroshi Fujiki, 2005. "Aggregate vs. disaggregate data analysis-a paradox in the estimation of a money demand function of Japan under the low interest rate policy," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 579-601.
- Cheng Hsiao & Yan Shen & Hiroshi Fujiki, 2004. "Aggregate vs Disaggregate Data Analysis — A Paradox in the Estimation of a Money Demand Function of Japan Under the Low Interest Rate Policy," IEPR Working Papers 04.1, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Stennes, Brad & Wilson, Bill, 2005. "An analysis of lumber trade restrictions in North America: application of a spatial equilibrium model," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 297-308, March.
- Giridhar Myneni & Jeffrey H. Dorfman & Glenn C. W. Ames, 1994. "Welfare Impacts of the Canada-U.S. Softwood Lumber Trade Dispute: Beggar Thy Consumer Trade Policy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 42(3), pages 261-271, November.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Cheng Hsiao, 1997. "Cointegration and Dynamic Simultaneous Equations Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 647-670, May.
- Nanang, David M., 2000. "A multivariate cointegration test of the law of one price for Canadian softwood lumber markets," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 347-355, December.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1997. "Statistical Properties of the Two-Stage Least Squares Estimator under Cointegration," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 385-98, July.
- Norah Al-Ballaa, 2005. "Test for cointegration based on two-stage least squares," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 707-713.
- González-Gómez, Manuel & Álvarez-Díaz, Marcos & Otero-Giráldez, María Soledad, 2013.
"Estimating the long-run impact of forest fires on the eucalyptus timber supply in Galicia, Spain,"
Journal of Forest Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-161.
- Manuel González-Gómez & Marcos Alvarez-Díaz & Mª Soledad Otero-Giraldez, 2012. "Estimating the Long-Run Impact of Forest Fires on the Eucalyptus Timber Supply in Galicia, Spain," Working Papers 1206, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.