Yield Curve Predictability, Regimes, and Macroeconomic Information: A Data-Driven Approach
AbstractWe propose an empirical approach to determine the various economic sources driving the US yield curve. We allow the conditional dynamics of the yield at different maturities to change in reaction to past information coming from several relevant predictor variables. We consider both endogenous, yield curve factors and exogenous, macroeconomic factors as predictors in our model, letting the data themselves choose the most important variables. We find clear, different economic patterns in the local dynamics and regime specification of the yields depending on the maturity. Moreover, we present strong empirical evidence for the accuracy of the model in fitting in-sample and predicting out-of-sample the yield curve in comparison to several alternative approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen in its series University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2009 with number 2009-10.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Yield curve modeling and forecasting; Macroeconomic variables; Tree-structured models; Threshold regimes; GARCH; Bagging;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-06-17 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FMK-2009-06-17 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-FOR-2009-06-17 (Forecasting)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.