Does Natural Selection Mechanism Still Work in Severe Recessions? --]Examination of the Japanese Economy in the 1990s ---
AbstractThis paper investigates whether or not the natural selection mechanism (NSM) of economic Darwinism works in severe recessions. Although standard firm models imply the importance of NSM in an economy by showing firm's rational behavior on entry, surviv-ing, and exit leads to macro-level TFP growth, there is almost no evidence to demonstrate NSM works even in severe recessions and depressions. Based on micro data of the Basic Survey of Japanese Business Structure and Activities (BSJBSA) by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, we construct a comprehensive firm-level panel dataset for Japan from 1994 to 1998, especially designed for the analysis of a firm's entry, survival, and exit and its relationship with TFP. Empirical results show that efficient firms in terms of TFP quit while inefficient ones survived in the banking-crisis period of 1996-1997. Besides, this phenomenon is mainly observed for new entrants and contributes substantially to a fall in macro TFP after 1996. These facts strongly suggest malfunctioning of NSM in severe recessions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-222.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: May 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-05-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2003-05-18 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-SEA-2003-05-18 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré & Lionel Nesta, 2006.
"Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 319-349.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties," Sciences Po publications 2006-04, Sciences Po.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Productivity and Market Selection of French Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2006-04, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Productivity and market selection of french manufacturing firms in the nineties," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7185, Sciences Po.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.