Career and Wage Dynamics: Evidence from Linked Employer-Employee Data
AbstractWe study career and wage dynamics within and between firms using a large linked employer-employee panel dataset spanning 26 years. We construct six-level hierarchies for more than 5,000 firms. We replicate most of the analyses from Baker, Gibbs and Holmström (Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1994) and make some extensions. Many of our results corroborate their findings. Careers within firms are important, but the strong version of the theory of internal labor markets does not fit the data. Recent theories of career and wage dynamics explain our findings well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1244.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executives; Executive Compensation
- J62 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Job, Occupational and Intergenerational Mobility; Promotion
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-04-09 (Business Economics)
- NEP-HRM-2011-04-09 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2011-04-09 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bas Klaauw & António Dias da Silva, 2011.
"Wage dynamics and promotions inside and between firms,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 1513-1548, October.
- Silva, António Dias da & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2006. "Wage Dynamics and Promotions Inside and Between Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 2351, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Antonio Dias da Silva & Bas van der Klaauw, 2006. "Wage Dynamics and Promotions inside and between Firms," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-084/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Petri Böckerman & Mika Maliranta, 2013.
"Outsourcing, Occupational Restructuring, and Employee Well-Being: Is There a Silver Lining?,"
Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 878-914, October.
- Böckerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2013. "Outsourcing, Occupational Restructuring, and Employee Well-Being: Is There a Silver Lining?," IZA Discussion Papers 7399, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Petri, Böckerman & Mika, Maliranta, 2012. "Outsourcing, occupational restructuring, and employee well-being: Is there a silver lining?," MPRA Paper 38230, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Böckerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2012. "Outsourcing, occupational restructuring, and employee well-being: Is there a silver lining?," Discussion Papers 1271, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kauhanen, Antti & Salmi, Julia & Torkki, Paulus, 2013. "Performance Measurement in Healthcare Incentive Plans," ETLA Working Papers 18, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kato, Takao & Kauhanen, Antti & Salmi, Julia, 2013. "Empirical Evidence on the Dynamics of Incentive Plans," ETLA Working Papers 20, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kato, Takao & Kauhanen, Antti, 2013. "Performance Pay and Enterprise Productivity: The Details Matter," ETLA Working Papers 21, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Valerie Smeets & Michael Waldman & Frederic Warzynski, 2013. "Performance, Career Dynamics, and Span of Control," Economics Working Papers 2013-02, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.