Forecasting Euro-Area Industrial Production Using (Mostly) Business Surveys Data
AbstractIn this paper we propose a relatively simple procedure to predict Euro-zone industrial production using mostly data derived from the business surveys of the three major economies within the European Monetary Union (France, Germany, and Italy). The basic idea is that of estimating business cyclical indicators to be used as predictors for the industrial production in France and Germany; as far as Italy is concerned, forecasts are produced using a model that in the recent past proved to be able to produce accurate forecasts up to six months ahead. In order to derive quantitative predictors from the business surveys data and to aggregate the nation-wide forecast into the Euro-zone forecast, we propose using an approach based on dynamic factors and unobserved components models. The resulting forecasts are accurate up to six steps ahead.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42332.
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Forecasting; VAR models; Industrial production; Cyclical Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Bruno Giancarlo & Lupi Claudio, 2003. "Forecasting Euro-Area Industrial Production Using (Mostly) Business Surveys Data," ISAE Working Papers 33, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giancarlo Bruno & Claudio Lupi, 2004.
"Forecasting industrial production and the early detection of turning points,"
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 647-671, 09.
- Bruno Giancarlo & Lupi Claudio, 2001. "Forecasting Industrial Production and the Early Detection of Turning POints," ISAE Working Papers 20, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Bruno, Giancarlo & Lupi, Claudio, 2003. "Forecasting Industrial Production and the Early Detection of Turning Points," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03004, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Giancarlo Bruno & Claudio Lupi, 2001. "Forecasting Industrial Production and the Early Detection of Turning Points," Econometrics 0110004, EconWPA.
- Alberto Baffigi & Roberto Golinelli & Giuseppe Parigi, 2002. "Real-time GDP forecasting in the euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 456, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bodo, G. & Golinelli, R. & Parigi, G., 2000.
"Forecasting Industrial Production in the Euro Area,"
370, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Giuseppe Parigi & Roberto Golinelli & Giorgio Bodo, 2000. "Forecasting industrial production in the Euro area," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 541-561.
- Giorgio Bodo & Roberto Golinelli & Giuseppe Parigi, 2000. "Forecasting Industrial Production in the Euro Area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 370, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Carlson, John A & Parkin, J Michael, 1975. "Inflation Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(166), pages 123-38, May.
- Roberta Zizza, 2002. "Forecasting the industrial production index for the euro area through forecasts for the main countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 441, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 2003.
"Macroeconomic forecasting in the Euro area: Country specific versus area-wide information,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, . "Macroeconomic Forecasting in the Euro Area: Country Specific versus Area-Wide Information," Working Papers 201, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Chan Huh, 1998. "Forecasting industrial production using models with business cycle asymmetry," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 29-41.
- Bergstrom, Reinhold, 1995. "The relationship between manufacturing production and different business survey series in Sweden 1968-;1992," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 379-393, September.
- Denise R. Osborn & Paul W. Simpson, 2000.
"Forecasting UK Industrial Production Over the Business Cycle,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1059, Econometric Society.
- Simpson, Paul W & Osborn, Denise R & Sensier, Marianne, 2001. "Forecasting UK Industrial Production over the Business Cycle," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 405-24, September.
- James Mitchell & Richard J. Smith & Martin R. Weale, 2001.
"Quantification of qualitative firm-level survey data,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
181, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- James Mitchell & Richard J. Smith & Martin R. Weale, 2002. "Quantification of Qualitative Firm-Level Survey Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages C117-C135, March.
- Osborn, Denise R. & Heravi, Saeed & Birchenhall, C. R., 1999. "Seasonal unit roots and forecasts of two-digit European industrial production," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 27-47, February.
- Batchelor, R. A., 1981. "Aggregate expectations under the stable laws," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 199-210, June.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lupi, Claudio & Ordine, Patrizia, 2000. "Regional Disparities and the Italian NAIRU," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 146-77, January.
- Garcia-Ferrer, Antonio & Bujosa-Brun, Marcos, 2000. "Forecasting OECD industrial turning points using unobserved components models with business survey data," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 207-227.
- G. Cainelli & C. Lupi, 1998. "Aggregazione contemporanea e specificazione econometrica nella stima trimestrale dei conti economici nazionali," Working Papers 319, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Marco Malgarini & Patrizia Margani & Bianca Maria Martelli, 2005.
"Re-engineering the ISAE manufacturing survey,"
ISAE Working Papers
47, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Javier Jareño, 2007. "Opinion-based surveys in the conjunctural analysis of the Spanish economy," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0706, Banco de Espa�a.
- Aleksejs Melihovs & Svetlana Rusakova, 2005. "Short-Term Forecasting of Economic Development in Latvia Using Business and Consumer Survey Data," Working Papers 2005/04, Latvijas Banka.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.