Short-Term Forecasting of Economic Development in Latvia Using Business and Consumer Survey Data
AbstractAt any stage of an economic cycle, policy makers and production managers are to make decisions how to benefit from an economic upswing most, or how to mitigate the adverse effects of an economic downturn. An early evaluation of economic development trends in a country will lead to a more favourable translation of policy decisions into economic processes at both microeconomic and macroeconomic levels. An assessment of economic business cycles often involves business and consumer survey results as evidenced, for instance, by rich practices of the EU and other world countries. This paper examines the usefulness of indicators from business and consumer surveys in the short-term forecasting of Latvia's economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Latvijas Banka in its series Working Papers with number 2005/04.
Date of creation: 14 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
business and consumer surveys; economic development; short-term forecasting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Croushore, Dean, 2004.
"Do Consumer Confidence Indexes Help Forecast Consumer Spending in Real Time?,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2004,27, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Croushore, Dean, 2005. "Do consumer-confidence indexes help forecast consumer spending in real time?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 435-450, December.
- Teresa Santero & Niels Westerlund, 1996. "Confidence Indicators and Their Relationship to Changes in Economic Activity," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 170, OECD Publishing.
- Bruno Giancarlo & Lupi Claudio, 2003.
"Forecasting Euro-Area Industrial Production Using (Mostly) Business Surveys Data,"
ISAE Working Papers
33, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Bruno, Giancarlo & Lupi, Claudio, 2003. "Forecasting Euro-Area Industrial Production Using (Mostly) Business Surveys Data," MPRA Paper 42332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Schreyer & Corinne Emery, 1996. "Short-Term Indicators: Using Qualitative Indicators to Update Production Indices," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 1996/3, OECD Publishing.
- Hansson, Jesper & Jansson, Per & Löf, Mårten, 2003.
"Business Survey Data: Do They Help in Forecasting the Macro Economy?,"
Working Paper Series
151, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Hansson, Jesper & Jansson, Per & Löf, Mårten, 2003. "Business Survey Data: Do They Help in Forecasting the Macro Economy?," Working Paper 84, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Annabelle Mourougane & Moreno Roma, 2003.
"Can confidence indicators be useful to predict short term real GDP growth?,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(8), pages 519-522.
- Mourougane, Annabelle & Roma, Moreno, 2002. "Can confidence indicators be useful to predict short term real GDP growth?," Working Paper Series 0133, European Central Bank.
- Carroll, Christopher D & Fuhrer, Jeffrey C & Wilcox, David W, 1994.
"Does Consumer Sentiment Forecast Household Spending? If So, Why?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1397-1408, December.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Jeffery C. Fuhrer & David W. Wilcox, 1994. "RATS code for Does Consumer Sentiment Forecast Household Spending? If So, Why?," QM&RBC Codes 49, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Lucia Dunn & Ida Mirzaie, 2004.
"Turns in Consumer Confidence: An Information Advantage Linked To Manufacturing,"
04-03, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Lucia F. Dunn & Ida A. Mirzaie, 2006. "Turns in Consumer Confidence: An Information Advantage Linked to Manufacturing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(2), pages 343-351, April.
- Ivan Roberts & John Simon, 2001. "What do Sentiment Surveys Measure?," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2001-09, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jason Bram & Sydney Ludvigson, 1998.
"Does consumer confidence forecast household expenditure? a sentiment index horse race,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 59-78.
- Jason Bram & Sydney Ludvigson, 1997. "Does consumer confidence forecast household expenditure?: A sentiment index horse race," Research Paper 9708, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bessonovs, Andrejs, 2010.
"Faktoru modeļu agregēta un dezagregēta pieeja IKP prognožu precizitātes mērīšanā
[Measuring GDP forecasting accuracy using factor models: aggregated vs. disaggregated approach]," MPRA Paper 30386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Konstantīns Beņkovskis, 2010.
"LATCOIN: determining medium to long-run tendencies of economic growth in Latvia in real time,"
Baltic Journal of Economics,
Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 27-48, December.
- Konstantins Benkovskis, 2010. "LATCOIN: Determining Medium to Long-Run Tendencies of Economic Growth in Latvia in Real Time," Working Papers 2010/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Konstantins Benkovskis, 2008. "Short-Term Forecasts of Latvia's Real Gross Domestic Product Growth Using Monthly Indicators," Working Papers 2008/05, Latvijas Banka.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivars Tillers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.