Non-linearities in exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from smooth transition models
AbstractThis paper examines the presence of nonlinear mechanisms in the exchange rate pass-through (ERPT) to CPI inflation for 12 euro area (EA) countries. Using smooth transition models, we explore the existence of non-linearities with respect to three macroeconomic factors, namely inflation rate, exchange rate fluctuations and business cycle. Our results reveals that exchange rate transmission is higher when inflation rate surpass some threshold. We give a supportive evidence to the Taylor’s view that pass-through is decreasing in a lower and more stable inflation environment. Next, we check the asymmetry of pass-through with respect to both direction and magnitude of exchange rate. In one hand, results provide an asymmetrical ERPT to appreciations and depreciations, but there is no clear direction of asymmetry. In the other hand, the degree of pass-through is found to be higher for large exchange rate changes than for small ones. Finally, when we examine the non-linearities of ERPT relative to business cycle, we report that passthrough depends positively on economic activity; that is, when real GDP is growing above some threshold, the extent of ERPT becomes higher.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39258.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Exchange Rate Pass-Through; Inflation; Smooth transition regression models; Euro area;
Other versions of this item:
- Nidhaleddine Ben Cheikh, 2012. "Non-linearities in exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from smooth transition models," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2530-2545.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-06-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-06-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-06-13 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2012-06-13 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kozluk, Tomasz & Banerjee, Anindya & de Bandt, Olivier, 2008.
"Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(6), pages 1-36.
- de Bandt, Olivier & Banerjee, Anindya & Kozluk, Tomasz, 2007. "Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-32, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- .De Bandt, O. & Banerjee, A. & Kozluk, T., 2007. "Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Working papers 173, Banque de France.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Giovanni P. Olivei, 2002. "Exchange rates and the prices of manufacturing products imported into the United States," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Q 1, pages 3 - 18.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices: Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Reginaldo P. Nogueira Junior & Miguel Leon-Ledesma, 2008. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through Into Inflation: The Role of Asymmetries and NonLinearities," Studies in Economics 0801, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2004. "Size matters: asymmetric exchange rate pass-through at the industry level," Working Papers 2003-029, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Jane Ihrig, 2001. "Monetary policy and exchange rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 704, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Arnildo da Silva Correa & André Minella, 2010.
"Nonlinear mechanisms of the exchange rate pass-through: A Phillips curve model with threshold for Brazil,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 64(3), pages 231-243, September.
- Arnildo da Silva Correa & André Minella, 2006. "Nonlinear Mechanisms of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: a Phillips curve model with threshold for Brazil," Working Papers Series 122, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Shintani, Mototsugu & Terada-Hagiwara, Akiko & Yabu, Tomoyoshi, 2013.
"Exchange rate pass-through and inflation: A nonlinear time series analysis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 512-527.
- Mototsugu Shintani & Akiko Terada-hagiwara & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2012. "Exchange rate pass-through and inflation: a nonlinear time series analysis," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers vuecon-12-00008, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Mototsugu Shintani & Akiko Terada-Hagiwara & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Inflation: A Nonlinear Time Series Analysis," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0920, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Eiji Fujii, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
04-21, Bank of Canada.
- Eiji Fuji & Jeannine Bailliu, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 135, Society for Computational Economics.
- Reginaldo P. Nogueira, Jr. & Miguel A. León-Ledesma, 2011. "Does exchange rate pass-through respond to measures of macroeconomic instability?," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 167-180, May.
- Valerie Herzberg & George Kapetanios & Simon Price, 2003. "Import prices and exchange rate pass-through: theory and evidence from the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 182, Bank of England.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
RCER Working Papers
335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Jiawen Yang, 2007. "Is exchange rate pass-through symmetric? Evidence from US imports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 169-178.
- Jan Przystupa & Ewa WrÃ³bel, 2011. "Asymmetry of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(1), pages 30-51, January.
- Bussière, Matthieu, 2007.
"Exchange rate pass-through to trade prices: the role of non-linearities and asymmetries,"
Working Paper Series
0822, European Central Bank.
- Matthieu Bussiere, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-through to Trade Prices: The Role of Nonlinearities and Asymmetries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 75(5), pages 731-758, October.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja, 2000. "Exchange rates and European countries’ export prices: An empirical test for asymmetries in pricing to market behavior," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Mario Marazzi & Nathan Sheets & Robert J. Vigfusson & Jon Faust & Joseph Gagnon & Jaime Marquez & Robert F. Martin & Trevor Reeve & John Rogers, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: some new evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 833, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Joscha Beckmann & Ansgar Belke & Florian Verheyen, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-through into German Import Prices – A Disaggregated Perspective," Ruhr Economic Papers 0427, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine, 2012.
"Asymmetric exchange rate pass-through in the Euro area: New evidence from smooth transition models,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(39), pages 1-28.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine, 2012. "Asymmetric exchange rate pass-through in the Euro area: New evidence from smooth transition models," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-36, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine, 2013.
"The Pass-Through of Exchange Rate in the Context of the European Sovereign Debt Crisis,"
47308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nidhaleddine Ben Cheikh, 2013. "The Pass-Through of Exchange Rate in the Context of the European Sovereign Debt Crisis," FIW Working Paper series 123, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.