Competitiveness and the real exchange rate: the standpoint of countries in the CEMAC zone
AbstractThis paper focuses on real exchange rate in the case of CEMAC countries. To analyze the situation in Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo, Gabon and Chad we used annual data from 1979 to 2008. Two approaches were used related to equilibrium real exchange rate model based on fundamentals and calculations show that terms of trade, public expenditure, the degree of openness of the economy and productivity are the most important variables which influence the equilibrium of real exchange rate. Based on the estimated paths, there was a clear pattern of overvaluation before 1994, suggesting that the exchange rate adjustment was needed. Despite a relative appreciation trend during last years, the real exchange rate of CEMAC countries has not experienced an important overvaluation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17053.
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Equilibrium real exchange rate; CEMAC; FEER;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-09-05 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2009-09-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-OPM-2009-09-05 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Razin, Assaf, 1996.
"Current Account Sustainability: Selected East Asian and Latin American Experiences,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1509, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Assaf Razin & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 1996. "Current Account Sustainability - Selected East Asian and Latin American Experiences," IMF Working Papers 96/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferrett & Assaf Razin, 1997. "Current Account Sustainability: Selected East Asian and Latin American Experiences," NBER Working Papers 5791, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joannes Mongardini, 1998. "Estimating Egypt's Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 98/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- John Williamson, 1994. "Estimating Equilibrium Exchange Rates," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 17.
- Claudio Paiva, 2001. "Competitiveness and the Equilibrium Exchange Rate in Costa Rica," IMF Working Papers 01/23, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1990.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
NBER Working Papers
2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Stein, Jerome L. & Allen, Polly Reynolds, 1998. "Fundamental Determinants of Exchange Rates," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293064.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Charalambos G. Tsangarides & Yasser Abdih, 2006.
"FEER for the CFA Franc,"
IMF Working Papers
06/236, International Monetary Fund.
- André Cartapanis & Sophie Mametz & Vincent Dropsy, 1999.
"Indicateurs d'alerte et crises de change. Analyse comparée des économies d'Europe centrale et orientale (1990-1997) et d'Amérique latine et d'Asie de l'Est (1971-1997),"
Programme National Persée, vol. 50(6), pages 1237-1254.
- Sophie Mametz & Vincent Dropsy & André Cartapanis, 1999. "Indicateurs d'alerte et crises de change. Analyse comparée des économies d'Europe centrale et orientale (1990-1997) et d'Amérique latine et d'Asie de l'Est (1971-1997)," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1237-1254.
- Florence Thibault & Cécile Couharde & Didier Borowski, 1998. "Sensibilités des taux de change d'équilibre aux output gaps et aux cibles de la balance courante," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 134(3), pages 71-96.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Lewis, Jeffrey D & Robinson, Sherman, 1993. "External Shocks, Purchasing Power Parity, and the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Baghli, M. & Bouthevilain, C. & De Bandt, O. & Fraisse, H. & Le Bihan, H. & Rousseaux, P., 2002. "PIB potentiel et écart de PIB : quelques évaluations pour la France," Working papers 89, Banque de France.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Baffes, John & Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & O'Connell, Stephen A., 1997. "Single-equation estimation of the equilibrium real exchange rate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1800, The World Bank.
- Tarhan Feyzioglu, 1997. "Estimating the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate - An Application to Finland," IMF Working Papers 97/109, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.